AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am interested in getting one of these projectors for myself. I plan on using the pj for dvd, directv, xbox, and ps2. The room will be 10' x 18' x 7'. I will have total light control. People that have seen both, what are your thoughts. I'm interested in picture quality, fan noise, ease of use, bulb life, connectivity etc. Your help is appreciated.

Slinger

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read about both and never having seen either in action, I chose the Infocus X1 and have been simply amazed by it. I use it for both work and on weekends the dvd player and the X1 provide a theatrical experience without having to spend the outrageous ticket prices. I do not see any rainbows that some people claim to see and so far family, friends and other guests that have been simply dumbfounded with the quality. I got a great deal on this and after the $100 rebate and extended 3 year warranty, this was the one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did preview both and went with the Sanyo Z1 because of its native aspect ratio of 16:9 and the manual lens shift capabilities and I did notice some rainbows on the X1. Both are superb machines to get your HT started.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Both are good machines. I purchased the Z1 for the 16:9 native and the lens shift which is GREAT!!!! I am not subject to rainbows on a DLP as I have tried on a differnt DLP (not the X1) to see them and could not.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
X1 prices seem to have dropped today, just ordered one for (insert cheap price here), factoring in the rebate + 5 yr warranty. I have an old 1x color wheel DLP projector (Infocus 340B), I don't see rainbows either, nor does anyone else who has looked at it.

Hopefully the lamp life is as advertised and the picture is at least as good. The 340B popped lamps like crazy. Unreliable machine, but to Infocus' credit, the warranty treatment they gave me is exemplary. That's what made me stick with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
X1 prices seem to have dropped today, just ordered one for (insert cheap price here) delivered, factoring in the rebate + 5 yr warranty. I have an old 1x color wheel DLP projector (Infocus 340B), I don't see rainbows either, nor does anyone else who has looked at it.

Hopefully the lamp life is as advertised and the picture is at least as good. The 340B popped lamps like crazy. Unreliable machine, but to Infocus' credit, the warranty treatment they gave me is exemplary. That's what made me stick with them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got the Z1 as JeffBallard did because of the native 16:9...it's a great little projector to start with (smells bad for the first few days, though), and it's very quiet. Nice colors and pretty good blacks, as well.

It does have a slight screendoor effect if you sit too close, but that can be fixed by ever-so-slightly soft-focusing it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've seen both. And ended up with a 1HD (a z1 from boxlite aka: Studio Experience) The Studio experience units are basically similar, but they've been tweaked a bit more, and had higher quality control over them. The warrenty is also better.

The X1 looked good, and was extreamly solid in construction. However the color flashing people refer to as rainbows, were an issue for me. I saw none on animated productions such as Monsters Inc. but on any live action, I would notice them.

I also found the Z1/1HD to be brighter, than the X1. The 16x9 chip was also a plus for me.

-Jason W

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had both at my house for in the past two weeks.

x1: everything is nice, but my girlfriend and I see rainbows CONSTANTLY. completely unusable

z1: Nice if you never plan to use a computer with it (as I do). It can't display pixel for pixel. HOWEVER: the quite fan mode is BS, and periodically the fan comes on extremely loud. And I mean loud. Makes it unusable.

Needless to say, I am returning both and getting something else.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The fan spin up issue has long since been resolved. I'm supprised your model didn't have the change made to it already.... I hear it sounds like a hair dryer when it does that...

It's a very quick and simple proceedure to do from the service menu that will adjust at what temp the fan spins up. Unless you're placing the projector in a small enclosure where it get's very hot, or your room is very very warm, I'm really supprised that if you've just had this two weeks, it wasn't addressed on your version...

Sorry I don't have the link to the thread on hand, but I'm sure some kind soul will post it for you. If they don't I'll try to dig it up. Try searching for Fan Spin, and Sanyo.... (mine is a 1HD and dosen't exhibit that problem, so I havn't performed the proceedure, just read about it)

Regarding the pixel for pixel, it will do that too, but you have to set the resolution to be the same as the chip. There is active thread talking about that right now...

-Jason W

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have only seen the X1, (bought it sight unseen) but from everything I read on this forum, both the X1 and the Z1 would be a great choice.

I picked the X1 because I planned on watching quite a bit of cable. With this scenario, I believe the X1 is the better choice.

Since there is pretty good return policy on the X1, I say just buy an X1 (cheaper than the Z1), watch it, and enjoy it. If by some chance you see rainbows, then send it back and buy a Z1. Either way you can't lose!!

patrick

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hello Patrick21, I am in Huntersville. I am looking to get an X1. Did you get yours locally?

I am going to try the X1 because it is cheaper and do what Patrick said. If My wife or I see rainbows we will return it and get the Z1.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the X1 as well. I too saw rainbows frequently when showing it on a plain wall. I have since switched to a goo screen and my wife and I both agree that we have since seen them less than 5 times?, that's in about 20 movies.. Rainbows not an issue if you go this route. the only other deciding factor I see is the aspect ratio.. If you're going to watch any 4:3 material you cannot beat the X1. I haven't seen the Z1 but from reviews it is essentially the same.

I do long for the huge 16:9 screen from time to time but I in NO way would want to trade the X1 for anything else at this time.. Maybe when the hd2 chipset drops and they start showing up in reasonably priced projectors i'll think about it.

In short, the only thing I see that could be the deciding factor is what size do you want. 4:3 or 16:9. I think the 16:9 native would be easier to mask but you really cannot go big enough to equal the 4:3 native screen without losing a ton of brightness and you'll also have worse blacks. Keep in mind that you'll need to pick up a vga to component adapter from Ebay to get the full potential of the X1 projector. I used a vga to bnc and used adapters but am glad I did it now. The blacks, the vibrance, everything is more enjoyable now letting the dvd player feed it progressive and keeping the projectors processor out of the picture.

Oh and they're about giving the X1 away now! :)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have a Sanyo PLV-Z1 and an NEC LT240 (soon to be going away! I'll miss you *sob*).

Black level on the LT240 is much much better than the Z1. Compared one after the other, I'd swear the Z1 is putting out a 20 IRE gray field on my screen. :D

The Z1 is a bit brighter, but the LT240 has a richer, deeper image. Color saturation is a bit better on the Z1. However, the Z1 has a fair bit of "fixed panel noise". It looks like screendoor, but in fact it looks like 8 pixel vertical and horizontal strips throughout the screen. Also, I detect a bit of color dither on the Z1.

Now, I am being very picky. I'd compare the Z1 to a typical RPTV. The fixed pattern noise is similar to the fresnel screen grid of RPTVs. I'd consider the Z1 a portable RPTV but with light blacks.

I like the Z1. I couldn't handle the rainbows on DLP (and I have a lot of dark and B&W movies), and I still have slight eyestrain even after 65 hours of use on the LT240, and 20 hours on an HT1000.

Paired with an HTPC with 1:1 pixel mapping, the Z1 is very good, and compares favorably with the better CRT RPTVs.

The Z1 is a stop-gap measure until new projectors come out that do not have color uniformity, fixed pattern noise, vertical banding, or rainbow problems. Yeah yeah, wishful thinking. :)

The Z1 and X1 are great starter projectors. Owning either will make the next projector upgrade much easier to decide on. :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Just saw an X1 for the first time, and I wasn't all that impressed. Blacks are really good,ok colours, and great de-interlacing, but that's about it. For a DLP, the screen door is quite heavy, not much better than a Z1. Probably because of lower resolution. But on the other hand at least here the competition is really the PTAE200.

The inputs are a joke, it's not possible to connect both S-video and interlaced Component at the same time, because the VGA plug only accepts progressive component...

There is a problem with the optics, that I suspect is plainly because of low price, I can't get it to focus properly on the full screen (kinda funny, with that name - in focus :) If it's focused in the middle, it's fuzzy in the corners. If you set the focus so that one corner is sharp, the other is VERY fuzzy. This is much less of a problem on any other projector I have access to right now (AE200/300, Z1, HS10...)

Fan noise is not VERY heavy, but compared to a PTAE200/300/Z1 quite noticable.

One more thing that is really screwed up, but might be a problem with this sample: The menu states that the incoming signal is PAL, even though it's NTSC - but it doesn't have any effect on the picture. Strange.

I see rainbows, but being a Davis Cinema One owner it doesn't really bother me, so for me rainbows isn't the problem. It just feels too discount, even compared to a PTAE200. WHO sells a home theatre PJ without a backlit remote?

Great blacks isn't everything... It's an ok buy, a cheap PJ with some advantages, but also some drawbacks. But it's not a bullet-proof bargain that I would advise any newcomer to buy without checking it (and the competition) out first.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Originally posted by Otto J

I see rainbows, but being a Davis Cinema One owner it doesn't really bother me, so for me rainbows isn't the problem. WHO sells a home theatre PJ without a backlit remote?

You sound like a Lexus owner complaining about a Chevy Cavalier. Maybe you should stay in the over $5000.00 group since you can't handle all the inadequacies of our "cheap" projectors.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My X1 remote is backlit... I'm not sure what you're talking about.

There's a little button on the side of it (that my thumb naturally rests on when I pick it up) that turns on a pinkish backlight for all the buttons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.