AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a new thread to discuss issues regarding the firmware revisions on the Z2.

This is what I have found based on my quest to get my Z2 to complete a HDCP handshake (at resolutions above 480p) with my LG LST-3510a when using the DVI connection.

1. How can one find out what firmware revision one's Z2 is on?

This information can be obtained from the Service and Factory menus.

2. How can one access the Service and Factory menus?

Service menu can be accessed by pressing the 'Menu' and 'Input' buttons on the projector at the same time and holding them down for about three seconds, after the projector is powered up and running. The Factory menu can be accessed by pressing Select and Input at the same time. I have not managed to get these menus up using my remote control.

3. What are the current known Z2 firmware revisions?

They range from 101 to 104 (based on postings in this forum).

4. What number do I have to call for technical support for the Z2?

888-337-1215

If you want to get authorization to ship your projector for service you have to fax the following information

Model, serial #, date of purchase, dealer name, contact phone #, fax number and a description of the problem to 818-717-2719 and they will fax you back an authorization and instructions on how to ship the projector to Sanyo service

4. Where can one find official Sanyo technical information on Z2 and related projectors?

Here are some links that I found

Official Sanyo Z2 page is at

http://www.sanyo.com/business/projec...?productID=836

A basic FAQ is at

http://www.sanyo.com/business/projectors/faqs.cfm

There is some technical information that can be found at

http://www.sanyo.com/lcd/index.cfm?FA=resources%2Ehome

There is some interesting information on RS232 codes here.

-----------------

I have firmware revision 101 on my projector. This is what I have been told when I called Sanyo support to find out what changes were made in the revisions from 102-4 and how I can get my firmware upgraded.

1. They are not aware of any firmware upgrades to the Z2. The numbers in the Service Menu do not mean anything. They may be different between different projectors just because a manufacturing process has changed. The techical support person said that an engineer visiting from Japan was sitting in with him and has confirmed this information.

2. Even if a firmware change is made available in the future, I cannot do it myself using a serial cable and a computer.

Here is the information that I am trying to get at

1. An independent confirmation or rebuttal to what I have been told by Sanyo support. I find it hard to believe that they would change firmware revisions between projectors just because they were made in different batches.

2. Has Sanyo done firmware upgrades before, say for the Z1 or the older PLV series home projectors? Did the firmware revisions go up when this was done.

3. Any information that can shed light on the firmware revisions, their content, the problems these revisons fix, sites from which they can be downloaded.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peddagunnu
1. I find it hard to believe that they would change firmware revisions between projectors just because they were made in different batches.
I agree. If they start upgrading firmwares the word will spread - so obviously their policy will be not to (we're talking Sanyo here - not Philips). I can't recall a Z1 owner updating their firmware but then I've not read all the posts here. To be honest, firmware upgrades normally only resolve operational quirks anyway. I'd be suprised if an upgrade from 101 to 104 fixed a unit with bad FPN.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll be following this thread. The Z2 has two options in the menu for the type of DVI connection (PC and DVD player) but they both expect PC IRE levels. Because of this, I have to use component, despite buying a Bravo D1 just for the DVI port. This is something I would expect fixed in a firmware upgrade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
>> The Z2 has two options in the menu for the type of DVI connection (PC and DVD player) but they both expect PC IRE levels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pio2001 for a pointer to the post by TheHobbit. So it appears that there have indeed been firmware revisions to the Z2 to fix real customer visible issues. I wonder what firmware revision the Sanyo dealer in Sweden is referring to and whether the fixes he mentions have been incorporated into revision 101. If they have not been then this is a clear rebuttal to what Sanyo support in the US had told me (no software changes since 101 and 102-4 merely indicate manufacturing process changes). The HDCP firmware fix mentioned in the TheHobbit's post may contribute to the solution of my HDCP handshake issue. It also clearly disproves the contention of the Sanyo US support contact Dan, who claimed that HDCP in the Z2 is handled at the hardware level using a mass produced chip that is an industry standard and that there was no firmware component to it. Since some HDCP issues with PAL have been fixed in firmware based on TheHobbit's posting, Sanyo support is clearly wrong. I wish there was more transparency and a well maintained technical support site for the Z2 which by most accounts is turning out to be a blockbuster product for Sanyo. I looked for a Japanese site but was not very successful.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The quote in the post linked above says "They have changed some resister to get similar quality as 480P and 575P. If we don't have any objection, the factoty will chenge it in the production line."

If "resister" means "resistor", this is actually not a firmware revision, but a change in the projector itself (it would be the PLV-Z2.1 :) ). This can be called a "change in the manufacturing process", and I can understand that Sanyo tries to hide it, to avoid hundreds or thousands of units back in their hands to open, dismantle, resolder, and re-calibrate.

It talks about a "software revision" about HDCP, but the english of the original post is poor. It might mean a "software revision" in that mass producted chip, that would be again a hardware change for the Sanyo. This time, replacing the old chip with the new model in an old Z2 would be very hard, if possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Pio2001

It talks about a "software revision" about HDCP, but the english of the original post is poor. It might mean a "software revision" in that mass producted chip, that would be again a hardware change for the Sanyo. This time, replacing the old chip with the new model in an old Z2 would be very hard, if possible. [/b]
This is what TheHobbit posted

1. HDCP compatible with PAL satandard.

They have already started new production with updated software from 14/Nov.

We will have up-dated software to write in the market set on comming Monday.

I would assume from the second sentence that this is a firmware upgrade that the dealer can write into a set that he will be selling.

If you look at the HDCP specification and most of the HDCP DVI receiver chips (like Analog Device's AD9887A, Sigma's EM8610 Series) implemented to this specification, the onus is on the receiving device to provide a lot of information that identifies it (information like what class it belongs to) and timing parameters which I assume are done in firmware. Maybe Sanyo goofed in early firmware versions.

It is also possible that the HDCP DVI transmitter chip on my LG LST-3510a is not configured properly in firmware. So I am looking to a firmware fix from one or both of these vendors to solve my HDCP handshake issue.

I would think that if the HDCP receiver chips in early versions of the Z2 were faulty then replacing them would qualify for a recall since the one of the selling features of the Z2 was a HDCP compliant DVI-I port. If they changed the chip on the production line without informing existing customers, recalling/replacing the chip on faulty Z2's then this would qualify as a bad business practice which could be contested and lead to penalties. I would like to think that this is not the case based on the reading that I have done.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
This seems like the most appropriate place to post this - I'm sure you all will tell me if it isn't :)

I just received my 2HD (Z2) last week and attempted to hook it up to my Time Warner 3250HD digital cable box via the DVI output (Output 2, HDCP RGB on the pj). I get an error message on screen, from the cable box, that says "Your HDTV is not HDCP compliant, please us the Y/Pb/Pr connections" or something very similar to that.

I spoke to Studio Experience yesterday and all I was told was that they had just learned there was an HDCP issue with the 2HD(Z2) and that when they know what a fix is they will post it on their website. That wasn't very encouraging.

This seems to be the same 'handshake' issue mentioned above, unless I have missed something simple on my setup. Thought I would post what SE tech support mentioned.

Brian

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hmmm my SE2HD has been working fine with HDCP. The only HDCP equipment i have used is the Samsung HD931. The only quirk I had was that after selecting the proper input "RGB (AV HDCP)" from the menu I would sometimes have to disconnect and then reconnect the DVI cable before I would get picture.

Changing between RGB (PC Digital) and RGC (AV HDCP) on my PJ definately changes the picture. I'm no expert so I couldnt say if it was changing the greyscale range but something changes for sure.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I just got my 2HD back from Boxlight and the Rev is still at 103, I guess they don't update them when they come in for service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If wish I had access to the internal Sanyo Service Center Network. Here is the link

http://sanyoservice.net/elite63ecom/WebAppServlet

If somebody on the forum knows a dealer who has an account, we could easily verify if there are indeed any downloadable (dealer visible) firmware updates for the Z2. My dealer contact is unfortunately on bereavement leave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also received my Z2 recently (1/23/04). The firmware is version 105. No discernible flaws at all. Definitely no VB. They must have got it right. I don't even want to fool around with the service and factory settings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I live in Norway (Swedens neighbour contry) and contacted Sanyo Nordic 12-jan about firmware upgrade. The reply was that they had not yet received the firmware update, but they should receive it at the end of the month and I should contact the authorized service place for Sanyo in Norway to get it updated.

So it does seem that they do have the intention of making it possible to upgrade at least in Europe. I do hope so, although I'm very happy at the moment with the Z2 I always like to have the latest firmwares so I don't have to worry about problems or look for them.

I'm gonna contact the service place today about the upgrade and will keep you posted if I manage or do not manage to get it upgraded.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well just got a reply from Sanyos Norwegian service representative and they said I should just send it in and the upgrade would be covered by the guarantee :) So I'll send it in in a few weeks i guess. Will be interesting to see if I see any difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Can someone please remind me how to check the firmware level?

I just ordered my Z2 yesterday, but the dealer still has to review the unit before it ships. I would be very interested in knowing if it is at 1.05 level yet or not.

He did mention that the units he has just came in last week.

Jason

·
Registered
317 Posts
thanks.

;)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.