AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day suddenly my Sanyo PLV-Z2000 refused to start - with blinking green & yellow LEDs telling me to replace the lamp. This would be my second replacement - I think I've had this lamp for 1 1/2 years.

Looks like the lamp is about 160 in various places. On e-bay it is about $125 from HK. There are also just the bulbs sold for about $80.

Wondering how difficult would it be to just replace the bulb ? Anyone tried this ?

Hoping this will tide me over until a decent 3D 1080p projector with lens shift comes out.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You'll regret it. The forums are full of people with bad stories about using these 'generics". There are those that swear by this, but unless you are 1000% sure it is THE CORRECT bulb, then the odds are very good you will get one that LOOKS like it but is NOT the correct bulb and you will have problems. Over in another forum, one guy bought one of these so-called "compatible" bulbs and it was way too hot and burned his optics. Now he's looking at a repair bill.

Look around, find a deal, but do NOT buy anything from China. They lie about compatibility.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/20842018

You'll regret it. The forums are full of people with bad stories about using these 'generics". There are those that swear by this, but unless you are 1000% sure it is THE CORRECT bulb, then the odds are very good you will get one that LOOKS like it but is NOT the correct bulb and you will have problems. Over in another forum, one guy bought one of these so-called "compatible" bulbs and it was way too hot and burned his optics. Now he's looking at a repair bill.

So it sounds like the bulb is easy enough to replace - but the compatibility and quality is a big question mark ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My delimma at this point is - whether to upgrade or buy a lamp and wait another year.

No HD - 3D projectors with lens shift that I'd like to buy yet, since I don't like spending $$$ on that. HD33 that guitarman is reviewing sounds interesting - and with some difficulty I can make that work even without a lense shift.

$160 or $1,499 - that is the question

And then there are all these LED projectors ...

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Forget the LED projectors for now. They just don't have the light output that regular projectors have. In time, they will but it's too early in their development.

As for your $160 lamp, at that price, it has to be a "generic" and I would be very careful there. I checked several lamp sources and a genuine OEM lamp is about twice that. SO if you go for it, it's at your risk.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952
Forget the LED projectors for now. They just don't have the light output that regular projectors have. In time, they will but it's too early in their development.
Yes - it does look like that after quick review of some threads.

Quote:
As for your $160 lamp, at that price, it has to be a "generic" and I would be very careful there. I checked several lamp sources and a genuine OEM lamp is about twice that. SO if you go for it, it's at your risk.
Hmmm ... didn't realize that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.