AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with an online Sanyo retailer that told me he receives direct information from Sanyo and here is they have confirmed so far:

Lumens: 1000 ANSI

Contrast: 5000:1 Double Iris

10 bit converter

D5 Panel - 1280x720 resolution

He said they have not given any pricing information yet, or the exact release date.

At least the 1080p speculation can be taken out of the equation and also they bumped up the lumens a little bit.

Hopefully the German roadshow will shed some light at the end of the month.
http://www.sanyo.de/roadshow2005/

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Looks reasonable. Time and price will tell how it does ;)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
whats the lumens in "economy mode"? Brightness is what I like, but obviously the contrast and such are also very important. I won't be the first one to bite, and I am still pretty happy with my HS20 with the higher rez (could use more contrast though). Hopefully, the better fill factor on the D5 panels will match the smoothness of my 20.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'll buy one as soon as they are available and then we'll know. The extra brightness will be great for my high contrast gray screen.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Awesome... sounds like the HS51 I already own. I was hoping the next gen systems would be similar to the HS51... which I thought was ahead of its time. Perhaps a bit brighter... but not a big deal. Now I can forgoe projector envy for another year

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This may spank 720P DLP if the real contrast is anywhere near that marketed figure. I hope the screen door is better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC
This may spank 720P DLP if the real contrast is anywhere near that marketed figure. I hope the screen door is better.
When was the marketed figure EVER near real-world performance? :)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
doubtful the z4 or its brothers affect the dlp 720p projectors at all.

Hopefully the z4 is right at 2k range... if so I will be looking to sell my ae700 to upgrade.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Will the improvement in fill factor between the D4 and D5 be a noticable improvement? And what is the actual difference in fill factor between the chips?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar
doubtful the z4 or its brothers affect the dlp 720p projectors at all.

Hopefully the z4 is right at 2k range... if so I will be looking to sell my ae700 to upgrade.
I beg to differ. My theory (hope) is that the new 720p LCDs will drop the price of current 720p LCDs. If the Z4 is at 2k, that alone should help lower the price of the 720p DLP to compete with it. I was looking at the BQ7700 in particular, and I believe the competition will help drive the price to the 2k range.

Maybe...maybe not. :)

·
Premium Member
12,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71
When was the marketed figure EVER near real-world performance? :)
The HS-51, 5800:1 calibrated baby!!

I am surprised that this PJ doesn't have a higher contrast ratio with two iris's. Plus the D5 panel to boot. I was figuring closer to 8-9K personally.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering
The HS-51, 5800:1 calibrated baby!!

I am surprised that this PJ doesn't have a higher contrast ratio with two iris's. Plus the D5 panel to boot. I was figuring closer to 8-9K personally.
Kris,

Sorry, I haven't kept up with the HS51 discussions but I think the lumens are low at those contrast ratios, right?

It's possible the Z4 will achieve higher contrast ratios without sacrificing too many lumens. Of course this is all speculation on my part.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC
Kris,

Sorry, I haven't kept up with the HS51 discussions but I think the lumens are low at those contrast ratios, right?

It's possible the Z4 will achieve higher contrast ratios without sacrificing too many lumens. Of course this is all speculation on my part.
HS51 uses auto IRIS, so the 5800:1 high contrast is peak white (when IRIS full open) divided by peak black (when IRIS is tightly shut).

The start of this thread only mentioned double IRIS, it did not mention auto or not. Double IRIS must be one near the lamp, and one in the lens. If these IRIS are not automatic, then the 1000 lumen and 5000:1 contrast will not be at the same time. Just like SHARP Z10000 claims 5500:1 contrast ratio, via IRIS, but the fixed IRIS yield low lumen at 5500:1 contrast.

If Sanyo uses double IRIS to achieve 5000:1, this may not be good, because it means the panel itself need lost of help externally to get 5000:1.

The 2K pricing is not attractive either since some 720p DLP already sell 2K+ pricing, and the ANSI contrast will be better than Z4, with higher aperture ratio and other advantages (color uniformity, panel life, VB, ...) I'm sure the newer 1280x768 0.65" DLP will be very competitive in pricing with overall better image performance.

Like reaper said, HS51 already achieved 6000:1 contrast last year, the Z4 does not appear any major improvement over HS51.

Where is "1080p version Z4"? :cool:

·
Registered
491 Posts
just speculation on everybodys part.

if the z4 achieves a good contrast / lumens ratio, then it might be a major step forward... for example compared to the hs51.

if not, then the hs51 will seem like a canny investment for those who have it.

just a matter of weeks now and we will start to find out.

still, im really keen to see panny and sonys response. cmon pls, im sweating here to find out.

krlock2.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I am sure z4 has at least one auto iris, one close to the lamp.

I was expecting more than 6000:1.

In fact in a report about Epson and D5 they had a modded tw200 at 7500:1 and expected a higher end model to reach 9000:1.

We are still waiting for what Panasonic ae900 contrast specs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So, when the Z4 comes out, does anyone expect the Z3 to drop in price? Any guestimates how much? I'm on the verge of buying a Z3...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Concerning the iris, here is what a German site said (the claim that this information is from Sanyo)...

...reinforced by a system with double iris of which a dynamic iris which adapts its opening according to the contents of the image, like by the dynamic variation of the intensity of the lamp...

Sounds like the iris is dynamic, but I hope not to the degree of Sony's. I'm hoping the d5 panel is enough to make it worth upgrading from the z3....

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone
Will the improvement in fill factor between the D4 and D5 be a noticable improvement? And what is the actual difference in fill factor between the chips?
Yes. It goes from ~50% to ~60%. That's a 20% gain in fill factor and should translate into a meaningful -- albeit not world changing -- difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.