AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rec'd my PLV 60 yesterday. I don't know why but I was not blown away. I don't have a screen as yet as I wanted to first figure out what size would be good. Anyway, I tried it on the wall with Satelite and DVD and for some reason did not enjoy the picture as much as I thought I would. So, now I'm in a quandry.

Should I spend $5k on the projector or the same amount of money or a little more on a 42" Plasma.

Does a screen make the picture that much better?

Should the picture from this projector be better than a rear projection TV?

My HT room is very small. 13'-/12'. 13' long so the screen would be about 8-10' from where we would be sitting. The screen size I'm looking at is a 45/80" Da Lite.

Another thing that I found interesting on your post is the zoom feature. So there is a way to take out the black bars on DVD with the zoom. That sounds pretty cool. Do you ever watch satelite or cable on 4:3 or do you watch that on 16:9.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Peace!

Akash

------------------

Akash Kapoor

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you using decent cables? When I first hooked my projector up, I used the cables out of the projector box. They suck! After picking up some decent, inexpensive component cables from Best Buy (AR $30), DVDs were a 100x better.

NTSC cable/Satellite still is not great but that's more of a function of the compressed signal than the projector.

I am also not using a screen yet (white wall) and am deciding between buying one versus having my artist wife create one for me. At the very least I expect the contrast and blacks to be better whichever route I go.

Also 8' feet is pretty close for the projector, I would suggest going back as far as you can. I am about 13-14' feet back but I have a larger room.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are you saying that the projector is not good for anything but DVD's?

I'm actually about 10' away and my screen size will be 65" horizontal so not very projected.

At this time, I am testing various cables and all the S Video cables for the DVD are pretty close in quality.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You mention S-Video cables in relation to your DVD Player-that is a big NO NO with this projector. At a minimum you must feed this projector with a Progressive Scan DVD Player using component video cables. This will completely transform your picture and give the PQ you expected when you bought the PLV-60

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
244 Posts
I too am a bit surprised that you werent blown away. I am using RGBHV and RGB (from dish 6000 and from HTPC) and the DVDs and HDTV look awsome.

Bear in mind that SDTV will never be awsome - (some may disagree - but this is compared to DVD or HDTV) it just doesnt have the resolution - but it can certanly be watchable.

-maynard

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone. I currently have a NEC9PG+CI scaler+Tice Power Conditioner setup. S-Video Dish Sat and component DVD signals are being fed into the projector's RGBHV input. I have also been exploying the plv60ht as a possible replacement for the NEC 9PG (a CRT for those not familiar with the model). I may need to move and a lighter/smaller projecter is needed. My question is; has anyone connected the CI scaler to the PLV60HT? Will it improve stantard SAT feeds? CI scaler is currently used at 720P but can also scale at various computer resolutions.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Quote:
Bear in mind that SDTV will never be awsome - (some may disagree - but this is compared to DVD or HDTV) it just doesnt have the resolution - but it can certanly be watchable.
Just to clarify,

SDTV and DVD have the same resolution...720 x 480 either 480I or 480P and either 16x9 or 4x3.

DVDs typically look better than what you normally see on "SD" resolution DTV because the mastering and compression are done more carefully.

-dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am using the PLV-60 in my HT. I am very happy with it. I highly recommend the Stewart Luxus screen with Greyhawk material. Quality cables are also a most. But, most important thing is you should be viewing DVD using a progressive scan DVD player at 480p resolution.

I have the 110" screen in a room measuring 13x24x9. You can see my HT and screen shots by following this thread.

http://www.paul-larson.com

Let me know if you have any questions after viewing.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akurana

Does a screen make the picture that much better?

Yes. If your thinking of spending 5k then you should evaluate the sucker on a decent screen.

Quote:

Should the picture from this projector be better than a rear projection TV?

This depends. If your just talking about quality without regard to size then I would probably answer no if your comparing to some of the best RPTVs. But the deal is that with the FP you will be able to get a larger image and feel more like a theater. This is the trade off.

Quote:

My HT room is very small. 13'-/12'. 13' long so the screen would be about 8-10' from where we would be sitting. The screen size I'm looking at is a 45/80" Da Lite.

I would suggest a little smaller, but that size is close for the 10' viewing distance. If you make it too big then you'll start seeing pixels.

Things will look better with progressive scan DVD. However, this projector has a decent scaler so you should still be very happy with an interlaced player. I don't see where it is crucial to evaluate with a progressive DVD, although it will look better.

John Moschella

·
Registered
111 Posts
akurana,

Figure your screen size based your viewing distance. Minimum viewing distance should be 1.5x the screen width, say 12 feet from an 8 foot wide screen. At this distance you will occasionally notice some screen door. At a viewing distance of 2x screen width you shouldn't be seeing any screen door effect. I sit about 13 feet from an 8 foot wide screen and find that a good balance between "big" screen and seeing the pixels (a couple of times during a movie).

Frank

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
When you input something like the Dish 6000 or the DTC 100 into this unit, and you are watching HDTV that is 16x9, will there be any black bars or will it completly use all of the space? Thanx.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Moschella

Yes. If your thinking of spending 5k then you should evaluate the sucker on a decent screen.

This depends. If your just talking about quality without regard to size then I would probably answer no if your comparing to some of the best RPTVs. But the deal is that with the FP you will be able to get a larger image and feel more like a theater. This is the trade off.

I would suggest a little smaller, but that size is close for the 10' viewing distance. If you make it too big then you'll start seeing pixels.

Things will look better with progressive scan DVD. However, this projector has a decent scaler so you should still be very happy with an interlaced player. I don't see where it is crucial to evaluate with a progressive DVD, although it will look better.

John Moschella
I'm planning on a screen of 33/57, thats all that my room will permit me at this time. I'm looking at the DaLite Type C, Pull Down Screen. I do plan on getting a Progressive Scan DVD in the near future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
When you input something like the Dish 6000 or the DTC 100 into this unit, and you are watching HDTV that is 16x9, will there be any black bars or will it completly use all of the space? Thanx.
I'm sorry, I did not understand your Post.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Sorry I wasn't more thorough with my question. I was posting it in a rush becasue I had a lot of stuff to do. I have a Dish 6000 and a DTC-100 and a toshiba tw40x81. Both of which of course have HDTV capability. If I am watching HBO-HD on this projector, and the movie that I am watching is using a 16x9 aspect ratio, will the projector show it like it was on a 4x3 tv and put black bars at the top and bottom, or will it display it like my toshiba and use a 16x9 aspect ratio with no black bars. Thank you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
If I am watching HBO-HD on this projector, and the movie that I am watching is using a 16x9 aspect ratio, will the projector show it like it was on a 4x3 tv and put black bars at the top and bottom, or will it display it like my toshiba and use a 16x9 aspect ratio with no black bars. Thank you.
The Sanyo PLV-60HT is a 16:9 WXGA LCD projector. There will be no black bars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you're saying that there should not be any Black Bars while wathcing TV. I have black bars when I watch movies from satelite. Is there a way to adjust that. I don't have HD as yet but the black bars have nothing to do with HD, right.

I saw a posting on this forum which I can't seem to find that kind of suggested that there was a way to eliminate the black bars while watching DVD on the PLV60HT using some Zoom feature. I have not been able to do so. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Quote:
IF they movie is broadcast in 1.85:1 aspect ratio or 1.76:1 then yes you won't see black bars. IF you watch a movie that is projected at any other ratio like 2.35:1, you will see black bars. IMHO its blasphemy to fill up your screen or use a zoom mode on a 2.35:1 film. You may want to but IMHO you're too concerned with the aspect ratio than the movie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.