AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to buy the Sanyo PLV60HT and need advice on the other hardware that will go with it. I'm laying out my options and please feel free to give me your 2 cents and state the reason why I should go with the model you indicated. Thanks!

PROJECTION SCREEN: (106" or 100" diagonal)

1. Da-Lite with High Contrast Da-Mat

2. Da-Lite with Da-mat

3. Stewart with Grayhawk

DVD PROG. SCAN

1. Panasonic RP91

2. Toshiba SD5700

3. Toshiba 6200 or 9200

HDTV DirecTv TUNER:

1. Sony HD100

2. Hughes Platinum HD DTV receiver

3. Mitsubishi HD400 or 500

4. RCA DT100 or PROSCAN DTV receiver

5. DISH 6000

CABLES:

1. Tributaries

2. Straight Wire

3. Monster Cable

4. www.avcable.com

OPTIONS:

1. Silicon Image DVDO Iscan Pro Line Doubler

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
First use a smaller screen, nothing larger than 100 inches.

I used a micro-perf screen and painted the wall behind the screen a flat black and got great results. This may be cheaper than going with the grayhawk and the added benefit of anchoring the center channel right behind the screen is very realistic.

I am using the Panasonic RP91K but either of the Toshiba DVD players you list are good.

As for the Directv HDTV tuner I don't like any of them. My advice is to wait for another generation or two before purchasing.

Cables are a sore subject. I like the LAT international cables see them at www.latinternational.com

Finally, This projector really does not need an outboard scaler. The built in scaling is great.

Dave

·
Registered
283 Posts
David, I am also considering the Sanyo PLV-60HT....Why do you say screen size should be no larger than 100"??

Thanks, Brett

------------------

Klipsch

KLF-30's Mains

KLF-C7 Center

KSP-S6 Surrounds (2pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Marantz SR8000 DD/DTS

Toshiba SD-4205 5 Disc DVD

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsu VCR

Monster Cable speaker cables & Sub cable

Audioquest interconnects

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Brett,

With larger screens the stability of the image begins to break up. That is you see more artifacts caused by the digital processing and/or imperfections in the image caused by the recording process. Also the pixel structure becomes more visible. To me at 100" these things became more visible but definitely not show stoppers.

Dave

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think a 106" screen would be just fine with the PLV-60 depending on your viewing distance. I have a 100" 16:9 screen for my XP21N, and the picture is awesome at 13' out, the PLV-60 has more resolution for 16:9 images, so it shouldn't be a problem. The real issue is screen door effect, which might be noticable inside 12'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
webdanb, jonmx and david,

I appreciate all your replies on this. I am now getting closer to what I want. Basing my decision on all the posts and the reviews I have gone over (thank you's in large for this excellent avsforum forum), I am now leaning towards the Grayhawk, and either a Panasonic RP91 or the new Toshiba SD5700. The Iscan Pro is out for now. Cables? I think any of them will be just fine. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing, the HD tuner. You're right, I've had 4 DSS rcvrs. and the HD rcvrs. will improve with every generation and new feature that comes out...buy the best you can afford. Content will eventually increase as the masses purchase them. For now, it's for the lucky few... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Everyones entitled to there opinion, but I would warn you to research those toshiba DVD players. The toshiba 5109 DVD player is certain to cause dropout problems during bright flashes (using component). I'm not sure if those ones you mention cause the same effect. It warrents more research. I haven't seen either of those other DVD players, but I can tell you the RP91 is a GREAT player. It's scaling abilities make life so much easier for non anamorphic DVDs. It's a good match with the PLV-60.

I have a Stewart Grayhawk, and it's another fantastic match for this projector. But I haven't seen the Da-lite's with the PLV-60 yet. I do know the high contrast da-mat was suffering from some sort of shimmering problems during it's initial run, and I'm not sure if that's been fixed. Again it warrents more research (especially cause it's much cheaper than a grayhawk).

I don't have HDTV yet.. You may be able to find a great deal on a DTC-100 open box at circuit city or best buy though.. that should tide you over until the next generation comes out, and hopefully the prices become reasonable. it may not be the best STB out there, but it's the cheapest. The DISH is an interesting option as well, because of the different content. Like I said though I don't own any of these products so someone elses opinion might be more valueable.

I will avoid the cable question. Everyone has an opinion on it.. just check the return policy and if you don't like it, send it back.

And lastly, for the iscan pro. it's a good scaler. If you only will be watching HDTV, and DVD's on a progressive player, I wouldn't bother. but if you play video games, or watch cable, or any other "bad source" like VHS tapes, it might be worth the investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.