AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing comments on these two, taking into consideration the price difference between them. That is, would the Sharp be that much better to justify a $4-5K price difference?

I've really been leaning toward the 60HT, from what I've read it sounds like a very good projector. The Sharp sounds interesting too, but it sure does cost a lot more. Is it worth it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
All I can say first, is that I have no doubt in my mind that the Sharp Z9000 is going to be an aamzing projector, much better than the 60HT. However, I may not even consider, because of the potential rainbow effects.

My point is really this, you must see if first to judge. Making an investment like that only to see that your see rainbows, or even on the 60HT, you see the screen door to much or are not pleased with the black level reproduction.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I own the 60HT and it is an amazing projector. I have not seen the Sharp 9000, but from what I hear is if you put the two side-side, the 9000 would indeed be better.

But, is it $4k better? In my opinion no, but some people have the the money to spend and the 9000 is the right choice for them. You will be very happy with the 60HT and an extra four grand in your pocket.

Robert

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I thought the PLV-60 was running about $4500 and the Z9000 about $7000, for about a $2500-$3000 difference. Still a chunck of change. Brightness may be considered also, since the PLV-60 is about twice as bright. But in a light controlled room, that may not be a factor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am having to make almost the same choice. I have narrowed my selection down to the Sanyo PLV-60HT and the Sharp XV-Z7000U. With the price of the two units being less than a thousand dollars apart I could go either way. My previous projector was the Sharp XV-H37U and my wife loved it. She wants me to buy the Sharp because of our good experience with them and feels the Sanyo name is cheap like "Gold Star". The W.A.F (Wife Acceptance Factor) is some times the deciding factor.

I want the higher native resolution of the Sanyo as well as the 16:9 format. But in reality my screen is 4:3 and with out a power zoom it will be difficult to use the 16:9 format and then climb a ladder and zoom out to make the 4:3 fill the screen.(Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this easily)

Also, any one recommend where I can find the lowest price on the Sanyo PL-V60HT or Clone.

Thanks, Michael F.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even though I will have total light control and will mostly be watching dvd and hdtv, I would like to watch football on a saturday afternoon with the lights on. Is the Sharp bright enough to get a decent picture for this or would it be to washed out? It seems the Sanyo can do a good job with both. Has anyone used one of these projectors for sports with some lights on? Thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a 600 lumen projector, which is close to that of the Sharp. If there the level of ambient light is high, or direcct light...then it is game over, only the brightest of scenes is watchable.

As for the LCD vs DLP issue...again, this will have to be a subjective decision, in that one must counter balance the benifits of rainbow, etc, with picture quality. I will be the first to admit that DLP is ahead of the game in terms of picture quality, but single chip DLP, even this new sharp, does present the possibility of seeing "colour separation artifacts", as the companies like to call it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many people actually have the Sharp? I thought it wasn't out yet.

From the sound of things, it appears the only way to get one is thru a dealer, for big bucks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a look at both the sanyo and the sharp, both were on a 100" white screen. To me the picture on the sanyo looked better and brighter. I placed an order for the sanyo, the price i paid for the sanyo in australia was $12500, the price i got quoted for the sharp was $18000 so i dont think the sharp is worth and extra $5500.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was really hoping to hear from someone who got a look at both of these. I'm sure the Sharp is a very good projector, but the price difference is what's killing it for me.

I've got to find some place to get a look at the Sanyo, I checked their website to find dealers, but they don't seem to list them, they just asked for my address to send me the info by mai! I still haven't heard anything.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I came, I saw, I bought... the Sanyo.

I had the honor of viewing the Sharp XV-Z9000 a few weeks ago (the store had just unboxed it the night before). I ended up buying a Sanyo... here's my story (and I'm sticking to it).

I'm a former CRT guy (had a BarcoGraphics 808s) and so black-level is, indeed, important. The 9000 had the best picture I have ever seen from a digital display device. It was as good, if not better than my friend's G-15 DILA with an HTPC (flamesuit on).

No rainbow from what I could tell. Nice and quiet. Nice black levels. Very noticeable shimmering on NTSC signals, but I'm sure that can be ironed out in the setup. No pixel structure until you were about 18 inches (45 cm) from the screen. Not *real* bright tho, so it had to have good black retention or the image would be washed out. By the way, the store wanted $10,995 for the unit. I know I could get it in the sevens. Decent video processor, but I'd recommend an HTPC or Faroudja NRS.

Enter the PLV-60. Pulled it out of the box. Set it on the stand beneath the 9000. Turned it on. WHERE ARE MY SUNGLASSES? I screamed to the salesperson. Black levels not as good, but the picture was just as vibrant if not moreso than the 9000 due to the fact that the unit is about 40% brighter. Your eye is sensitive to DIFFERENCES in light, not absolute light-levels... so if your blacks aren't going to be 'black' make sure your whites are REALLY white... and that's what Sanyo did. In the relative light scale, the whites and colors are so bright that the 'grey' black really does look "BLACK". Get a GreyHawk and now you're cookin'. Don't know that I'd recommend a GreyHawk with the Z9000... you'd run the risk of washing-out the colors since the unit is not as bright. Pixel structure on the PLV60 not visible until 24-30 inches from screen. The micro-lens in front of the panels make the screen-door virtually disappear, all you notice is 'pixel stucture' similar to the DLP. Internal video processor is pretty bad, big jaggies like the internal scaler on the G-10/15. I'm using an HTPC anyway, so who cares.

Sooooo, at the end of the day: The Sharp had an edge on the Sanyo: black levels and internal scaler. The Sanyo was WAY brighter and had just as good a picture in terms of color fidelity and saturation.... for $3000 less.

I bought mine online for $4650. Make sure your outboard scaler/HTPC can do 1360x768... it's a beautiful thing when it does.

-Ted

:cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ted,

How big a deal is the location of the Sanyo, relative to the wall? I.e., I'm going to be stuck mounting around 6" from the rear wall (not too much distance to work with). I've heard they recommend 3', which I just don't have.

Was it pretty quiet, too? What do you suggest for an outboard scaler?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
I have not seen the Sanyo. The Sharp is by far the best digital projector that I have seen. The picture is extremely clear with extreme detail. With light control, I'd highly recommend it. With a grayhawk screen you need light control, a lot of it. There is no way that I could watch a football game with it with lights on. I didn't see any rainbows. I saw the Yamaha dlp yesterday and I wanted to start singing, "Under the Rainbow". I was really really bad on an HDNeT feed. To be honest I though a lot of you guys were making too much of a big deal about rainbow until I saw the Yamaha.Please accept my apologies :D! I'd be pissed if I had purchased that projector and then discovered the rainbows. Thanks fellows for the "heads up."

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bulldogger
With a grayhawk screen you need light control, a lot of it. There is no way that I could watch a football game with it with lights on.
I thought the Grayhawk improved ambient light performance by absorbing reflected light. The title of Stewart's Grayhawk PDF ( http://www.stewartfilm.com/engineeri...s/grayhawk.pdf ) is "We Made the Screen Darker So You can Make the Room Lighter!" Its features list states that it's "Excellent in Ambient Light".

This past weekend, I saw the 9000 on a 1.3 gain screen in a dimly lit room. The picture was bright enough to watch for sure, but the colors were washed out.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Augie,

I'm using a Greyhawk with the current budget projector of choice the NEC LT-150 -- and it is viewable (sort of) under ambient light. I am "blessed" with having a "dark" house, lots of tree cover, meaning I rarely get direct sunlight in the house.

As long as the sun isn't setting I find it to be viewable, but certainly not optimum with the light in the room not controlled.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.