Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy guys,

Here is some official specs from my Sanyo rep.

PLV70

2200 lumens

900:1 contrast

DVI

35db

Sounds good !!

·
Registered
892 Posts
God that took long enough,seems like a year ago since i heard of this baby on the big picture.Hopefully it's black as was rumoured.As soon as someone see's a product page on any sanyo site could they please post a link?Or perhaps a photo from an upcoming show?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott,

I just sold my demo PLV60 last week... ;)

I will get a demo PLV70 soon...

Stay tuned !!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
2200 lumen... holy crap!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I hope there's an econo mode for decreased lumens and decreased noise. 35 dB is quite a lot.

I hope projector manufacturers will at some point understand that these babies need to be installed at homes too.

30 dB just won't cut it. We need 22 dB projectors now :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am currently calling my rep. to find out about econo mode.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Rick,

Is the rated lamp life longer for the PLV-70 than the PLV-60?

Halcy,

I love the idea of excessive lumens. You can always slap a neutral density filter on that badboy to cut the light output and lower the black levels. Keep in mind that light output will decrease as the lamp ages. The sound rating on the PLV-70 is similar to the PLV-60 which is to say LOUD. A hushbox is a virtual must for these projectors, particularly if you have a well designed home theater that has a very low noise floor.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lamp is a regular Phillips UHP lamp.

The PLV60 was 39db, is minus 4db makes an audible difference ?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Scott b,

4dB is a significant drop, but it won't make the projector truely HT like you mention. I also don't know how they come up with these loudness specs. They should tell you where they had the microphone 1 meter away, etc.

A better way is to cut the lumens with a gray screen. Ambient light gets reduced as well with that implementation.

However,

If the 900:1 holds true then I don't think people will be insulted much with the higher black levels and higher brightness.

Every year Sanyo keeps pressing forward with LCD technology (my least favorite of the three ;) ) and they really need to be commended for their efforts. I need to see the projector in person of coarse but they keep tempting me to buy LCD.

Is there a copy protection system built into the DVI (i.e. HDCP?)

I hope we can get these puppies for the same price as the current 60HT.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. I hope the 900:1 spec doesn't get lowered. I think we all remeber last year when the 700:1 became 500:1 on the 60HT.

·
Banned
770 Posts
From what I heard those specs actually might change again. Please remember that the PLV-60HT changed specs after it's release. No econo mode that I've heard of. Sounds great in any case.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Rick,

A decrease of 4 db, assuming that the measurements were taken in a similar manner, represents a cut of more than half of the noise. This should be noticeable. Do have a spec for the life of that Philips lamp?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
Rick,

A decrease of 4 db, assuming that the measurements were taken in a similar manner, represents a cut of more than half of the noise. This should be noticeable. Do have a spec for the life of that Philips lamp?
If db ratings for sound pressure is similar to amplifier gain it would take a decrease of 10db to perceive a decrease by half since our hearing is logrythmic. I know that's correct for power just not sure about sound presure.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A cut of 10dB would be half of the (perceived) noise. 4dB is just better than a slight difference in noise level.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Other specs...... X-Y Digital keysone along with up-down. 275 watt NSH lamp instead of 250 watt NSH. Obviously is now Micro lensed. Uses Epson panels instead of Sony. New color management system (which I've seen as is VERY nice) that has 8 custom color palates, color temp controls and 8 custom gamma tables.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
Rick,

4dB is more than half the noise in terms of physical power, but it takes at least 6dB change in attenuation to equal half as loud perceptually (some even argue 10dB but I think that is a little high)

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
859 Posts
Perhaps I have my doubling and halving confused. I know it takes a 10dB change to percieve a doubling in sound, so a halving should be the same, yes?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Measured and perceived loudness are two different things. An increase in sound level of 3 db represents a two-fold increase in measured loudness. As the previous posters indicated a 10 db increase in sound level translates to a two-fold increase in perceived loudness. In any event a 4 db decrease in sound level should be noticeable. Is it significant? No.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Im more worried about picture quality than fan noise. Im hoping Sanyo fixes the excessive blooming, vertical banding, and colors that are sometimes off on peoples faces (its hard to explain, but you have to see this). The specs sound great, but I got rid of my 13-hd (rebadged PLV-60) and I couldnt be happier.

Andy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.