AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SCREEN SIZE I WILL BE USING IS 52X92. AM LEANING TOWARDS THE SANYO. BEST QUOTE SO FAR IS$5500. ANYONE KNOW OF A CHEAPER PLACE? WHAT SCREEN SHOULD I BUY DAYLITE OR GRAYHAWK? WHAT IS A SCEEN DOOR EFFECT?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I certainly don't want to post off topic, but I did want to let you know of the remarkable things going on with the LT150, which has consistently gotten reviews which exceed the 10HT and is available for about 1/3 the price. Of course, this does nothing to help with rainbows if you're sensitive, but just an FYI.

I think forum consensus is that the Sanyo is far superior to the 10HT because it's next generation. The price/comparison should really be between the 11HT and the PLV60, as I understand it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Mike-

If at all possible, view both projectors and than pick the one YOU like the best. This is really a subjective question.

Of course the Sanyo is next generation, compared to the 10HT, but I'm not so sure it is that much better based on what I've read.

I'm also not sure that I'd agree with LMO's post that the 150 has gotten consistently better reviews than the 10HT. Like all projectors the 150 has it's issues.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I've had my 10HT for about 9 months, and I think it stacks up well against anything else in the digital realm. I have seen both the 150 and the Sanyo and I'd still pick the Sony.

FYI, check out the 10HT and the Sanyo forums over at www.thebigpicturedvd.com. Remember though, these forums tend to highlight the negatives because people there (me included) are always looking for ways to tweak the last ounce of performance out of their chosen projector.

No matter which one you buy, you have the potential, when properly calibrated and tweaked to get an amazingly good image. Even right out of the box, you'll have an image that will wow most people.

Screen door effect means you can see each individual pixel on the screen if you are too close, because there are black lines forming a border around each pixel. Look through a window screen from a foot or two away and you'll see the same thing.

Greyhawk is probably the top screen right now for LCD projectors. It's pricey, but probably worth it. You can also build your own screen with a gray rather than white finish to approximate a Greyhawk.

Welcome to the forum!

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

[This message has been edited by Steve13 (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Consider getting a Sanyo XP21N instead. Definitely better than the Sony 10HT, and probably better than the PLV-60. I think too many people are hung up on getting 16:9 panels.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Steve13: up until 2 days ago, i was lusting after the 10ht, mostly because of all the projectors out there, this one is within reach, and the price should only be getting better.

all it's issues (blacks, screendoors, etc) seem to be the most 'work-aroundable' of any of the projectors out there.

the pink lens tweak over on TBP sounds really creative and inspired, and i have no doubt it would actually improve the picture.

add this to the good fortune i've had w/ the majority of the sony products i've used (except for the new progscan player...ugh!) and the plug and play aspect, and this unit looks like a beaut.

of course i just maxed my charge out at Dell over the LT150.

but if actually do get it, i may be in for a rude awakening as to the rainbow issue. i've seen them on a $17K Runco, so i'm sure they'll show up on a $2k business projector.

I'm curious since you've seen both, how much worse did you find the NEC? were the rainbows the deal killer for you?

any opinions you have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I must state upfront that even though I've seen the NEC, I didn't spend that much time with it. The rainbow issue wasn't that bad to me, but I know it is for some people. One of my main concerns with DLPs has been how my guests would be affect by the rainbow effect.

I really have no desire to have guests over and always be wondering if some of them are suffering from the rainbow issue. I want to know that everyone is seeing the same image that I am. I just think the 10HT offers a lot of positives and few negatives.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am interested in a projector for myself, so I went to see PLV-60.

I am no critic and I didn't expect to see a cinema quality, however, the contrast of PLV-60, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Sure one can compromise, but at AUS$13K, why?

PS. I saw it on white screen but using the gray screen will not increase contrast without sacrificing brightness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.