AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now have enough Sanyo 18/21 LCDs or their Boxlight clones out there that it would be great to have a thread summarizing what tweaks/configurations Sanyo owners have learned. Please share the following with us:

Out of the box setup suggestions: Hookups, settings, tweaks.

Suggested companion equipment and results.

Problems and solutions, such as dust.

How the unit is aging and tweaks to adjust for that.

Here's a link to some stuff about the Panamorph:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008089.html

Here's a link to stuff about the Quadscan plus the Sanyo/boxlight LCDs.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008067.html

Dan Houck

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Sharpness all the way down/off/zero. Really. On everything. No, really. Trust me.

Feed it a progressive component signal or HD through VGA. (I don't have my Quadscan Elite yet for DSS and Laserdisc.)

Depending on the source material you might sometimes, possibly, could maybe, knock down the brightness to 29(from default of 32). But don't forget and leave it there when the brightness would look good (which is 95% of the time).

Try not to use the digital keystone.

You can defocus one hit or two if you are sitting too close (depending on your visual acuity).

I compared the Panasonic RP91 to the Toshiba 6200. No contest, the 91 is great. The 38t really benefits from the Gamma, Edge, Mosquito and Sharpness adjustments. (But the other dozen adjustments can wreak havoc.)

I haven't seen a Grayhawk, but I fear the thought of it. Don't be afraid of a 1.3 gain screen. Someone around here uses projectors this bright on 2.8 high gain screens and loves it. So I feel really conservative.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have both NEC LT150 and Sanyo XP21N. I have had the Sanyo for about 3 weeks and the NEC for about 2 days. The only decent source I have is progressive DVD through Panasonic RP91. The Sanyo will go in my dedicated theater in my new house (complete in November) and the NEC will be more my toy. I am not a big tweaker and haven't spent much time trying. I am actually thrilled with both as they are set up right out of the box.

Right now I have a Greyhawk fixed screen, but I plan on getting a high-gain (2.8) or a wide-gain (2.5) Da-lite pull down for the NEC. I am thinking about building a HTPC, but I think I might perfer a more plug and play solution like a quadscan. I will probably build a PC for my daughter anyways and tryout the Radeon. Link to new thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008067.html

[This message has been edited by Jonmx (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've my Sanyo Xp18N with Panasonic DVD player feeding in the Signal. I am using a Kikuchi Theater Grey screen. I've just finished setting up my HTPC. The HTPC is connected to the XP18N and the resolution is set to the native resolution of the XP18, ie. 1024x768. No keystone. No tweaking of the picture setup. A minor calibration of the contrast level of the video overlay of my display card with reference to the low level plunge pattern of the DVD Essential DVD. Believe me the picture is the best as compared to any other sources, eg. progressive DVD, D-VHS recording of HDTV programme or anythings.

So the best source for me is HTPC when matched with the Sanyo XP18N!!

BTW my HTPC also output the DD or DTS bitstream to my AV AMP for decoding and playback. I am using a Onkyo TX-D989 with DTS-ES and THX 7.1 capability. So I've my Sanyo XP18 to deal with the DVD image and have sound from my Onkyo TX-D989. Believe me I've watched the Gladiator with DTS-ES 6.1 sound together with a smooth and highly detailed image with no motion artefacts from the Sanyo XP18N.

------------------

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great start!!

What have you all found is the optimal way to hook up the Sanyo to your progressive scan DVD player or HTPC? Cable type and specific recommendations? Anyone have their DVD player in another room and long cable run?

Anyone had dust problem and dealt with it themselves?

Anyone compared the projector on various screens, gray vs. white?

Dan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I use a 8 meter monster componet video cable.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Digital Keystone Causes green shadows?

Jaron- was this just your unit or in general.

Can you explain more, or did they say more?

Does re-setting the unit fix this, or if you use it anytime you are playing with fire?

I am very curious about this.

Dan G.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Digital Keystone caused green/gray edges on text for my PLV-60. To turn it off on the PLV-60, hit D.Keystone on the remote and then "Normal".

I would not recommend anyone use the digital keystone correction.

Robert

·
Registered
29 Posts
Construction is almost finished on my dedicated basement and I am trying to figure out the optimal throw distance for my XP21N. I have a 106" Da-Lite Screen(16:9 - 52"x92").

I was trying a few things out on another wall in the house last night and I was having trouble getting the 4:3 image and the 16:9 image to stay within the 106" screen by zooming alone. Will I have to physically adjust the projector when I want to zoom into fill the screen with 16:9? Will the Quadscan address any of this? I am just learning so any info would be appreciated.

My Set-up:

Sanyo PLC-XP21N

Da-Lite Perm Wall 106" Diag(52"x92")1.0 gain

Denon AVR-3801

Quadscan Elite

Sony DVP-S500D(soon to be upgraded)

Klipsch RF-3 Mains

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

Klipsch SS.1 Rear Surrounds

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony A50 DSS

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doug:

I got a great throw ratio program from Hank at Studio Experience which I am emailing to you. Remember, this program is for a 4:3 screen, so use the height as the controlling factor.

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Both of my projectors have been 4:3 native chips. That's why I found it so easy to go with a 4:3 screen and take advantage of the fixed width. No zooming required (which was especially good since my last projector's zoom was manual) The irony is that the poorer quality signals are larger than the better quality signals(so zooming the 4:3 pictures down would increas the quality). But they are still plenty good enought to watch if you are interested in the content.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tsunami,

How much is the XP18N and XP21N in HongKong?

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
154 Posts
DAN G, The shadows are created by the scaler compensating for the keystone. As soon as you turn keystone off, they are supposed to disappear. I will get my projector back tonight and will let you guys know if Hank was able to fix it.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jaron:

Hank and I talked about the problems with your projector when I ordered mine. He was pretty confident all is well now and you should be enjoying soon.

The pieces to my system are starting to trickle in. The Pronto T2000 came along with the shelf system today. Studiotech shelves, really neat! Got them at a great price from hififorless in Arizona, less than $150 delivered for a 6 shelf setup.

I went with the 4:3 Grayhawk for the reasons Hank cited. I am totally convinced 4:3 is here for a long time to come.

Negotiating for a Parasound 2500U to replace my old Denny AVR5600. Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Series II arrived a few days ago.

Now I just gotta decide on DVD player. Panny RP91 still at the top of the list but the Malata make get the nod as the interim player until Kenwood wises up and includes some scaling in this big 400 disk changer they're bringing out.

Joe, Jaron, Dan, et. al., have any of you tried running the XP21/18 with your old interlaced DVD player?

Christmas in August!

Dan

·
Registered
168 Posts
DanH

Interlaced playback without an external scaler is nothing to write home about.

Looks fine most of the time, then in a quick action scene it reveals it's weakness. Not recommended.

I want to get a changer for my quadscan one of these days.

I heard you picked up your Elgar and another unit as well- how are those working out? Drop me a line.

Dan G.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DanG

Haven't put the Elgar to the test yet, it is going to run my main equipment rack, but not the Sunfire. The second smaller unit was for the projector.

Putting together a real HT is a serious time consuming project!

Dan

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got back my 38 T today and it appears to be fixed although I haven't run it through all of its paces. I use a Sony interlaced through the quadscan and it looks great now after being line doubled. The one major difference I noticed is that when using interlaced straight to the projector, the composite signal is crap but interlaced component is pretty damn good. It will take me about a week to get everything up and running but in the mean time, I would like to throw out a big compliment to Hank and Len at Studio Experience for all of the time and effort they have put into helping me, no matter what the results end up being.(They look like they will be great so far)

P.S. I now have the choice of using 5.1output audio, Coax Digital Audio, or Optical Digital Audio. I know it is the wrong forum but anyone know which is best if my DVD player and Receiver have all three?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Jaron, have you always had the interlaced DVD through the Quadscan? That may be your problem. When I was watching the interlaced (but component nevertheless) output of my RP91 (by mistake) it look green, dim and lame. The same projector on progressive component output looks great. Plus you have some model of Quadscan, and I bet there are about a thousand ways to screw up the signal with that box. I'm about to find out first hand this weekend, when I try to hook up my QS Elite (boy is that thing small).

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.