AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first posting. Having been an avid reader of the AVS forums on projectors and screens for well over one and a half years now, I just cannot stay silent any longer since about one month ago after long deliberations on LP350 and SIM2 HT200/250 I finally decided to go for the Sanyo XP21 – a decision which we have not regretted for one second.

I totally agree with Dan Houck’s posting of 8-12-2001 regarding this projector. To use a common term – it is ‘awesome’. The experience is cinematic and continues to amaze us every time we watch. The brightness is perfect (more on this below). Screen door is insignificant. The colours as near perfect as I could imagine. Whites are dazzling and detail in blacks is excellent. The projector fan noise is low pitched and significantly quieter than the fans and AC that we have to be running here in Cyprus in mid-summer when the outside (evening) temperatures are 85 to 90 degrees. The usability is excellent. Straight out of the box, having viewed many types of film over a period of one month I have not felt any need at all to make any adjustments whatsoever. I am running component video direct from a Nakamichi 10S DVD player (non-progressive scan) and I am using a 4:3, 200 inch diagonal, Dalite HP screen. The projector is ceiling mounted (about 9 feet from ground). We generally sit 18 to 20 feet from the screen.

I have found all your postings very very helpful in making my decision, but I sometimes feel that many of you get somewhat ‘blinkered’ looking at a limited range of situations , or ‘bogged down’ in the technological aspects. I would therefore like to put a few things in perspective, including one or two unusual views:

Brightness – There is no such thing as “too brightâ€. This surely depends on the situation. We have a large lounge with many windows and are running a 200 inch Dalite HP screen with the XP21 ceiling mounted about 27 feet from the screen. Of course we lose some of the HP gain, but we can have some ambient light, and it’s much like watching a very large TV screen. Having looked at LP350 and HT200, the picture qualities are very good but I was seriously worried about the light output. For us, 2500 lumens are perfect.

DLP vs LCD – I have never seen the rainbow effect in demos, but having read many postings, I was seriously worried about it – even if I do not see it perhaps it would be a problem for other viewers. I guess due to the need for colour wheel with DLP, both the noise and power consumption are likely to be higher than with LCD.

Power consumption – Here’s a new consideration: my house is totally solar powered from Photovoltaic arrays. Therefore I am always mindful of the power consumption of any device I buy. The XP21 magically produces 2500 lumens with a maximum power consumption of only 300 watts. (Even the Sanyo PLV60 with lower output requires more power.) DILA would not even be a consideration here.

Screen door – with the XP21 in the situation I described above this does not detract at all from the cinematic experience. No one from my family or any visitors have ever remarked on it.

I hope to make some more postings in the future. Meanwhile, please feel free to ask me any specific questions regarding the above. If any of you are visiting Cyprus, please come and see us. Our email address: [email protected]

John Holmes

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
John:

Really? A 200 inch screen? That's a biggie!

I'll be trying mine out tonight with the Grayhawk I'm installing and will post my impressions.

Great report, thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
168 Posts
Right on!

Satisfied Sanyo owners unite!

Makes those of us who have them feel better about our decisions that 6 months later people are still choosing it, rather than some newer model.

Now what can I do to get you to try a Quadscan (ideally) or progressive feed to the Sanyo?

You ain;t seen nothin' yet.

Dan G.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dan G,

I am a proud owner of the Boxlight 40T(Sanyo XP30). I did try the Quadscan Pro when I had my Boxlight 38T(XP21N) and was not too impressed. The first unit I got quit working after a few hours and the second unit kept on locking up when changing inputs. Besides the quality problems I found that using the HiPix DTV-200 on my HTPC as a video processor gave me excellent results very similar to the Quadscan.

Peter

·
Registered
29 Posts
How does it look on the Grayhawk Dan?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan,

Yes we really do have a 200 inch screen - 4x3 format, since we have quite a bit of material on DVD in this aspect ratio - for example IMAX-originated films, BBC films originating as UK TV series such as 'Pride & Prejudice', etc.

Soon I will try to post some pictures of our screen and HT setup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DAN G. & Peter,

I am interested in Quadscan and progressive players and will consider these in the future, but at the moment funds are pretty well exhaused and we are getting enormous pleasure from the setup as is.

I'm not sure whether we have a Quadscan distributor in Cyprus. Also of course we would need a European model for 230 volt 50 Hz. I'll have to investigate.

John Holmes

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I am considering this projector for a buddy who has asked for my help in setting up his HT.

If the only purpose is going to be watching DVD's, is a progressive DVD all that is needed or would a doubler/scaler do a better job?

Also, since it is only going to be used for DVD's, we would like to stick with a 16:9 screen. How do you calculate the screen size? Mounting distance should be right at 15'.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Brian, I would recommend you look at the PLV60/13T twins first, give the situation as you described it. The XP21N definitely needs an outboard scaler, but some are reporting the 13T can get by without it. You didn't say anything about ambient light issues in your friend's HT room. Does he have good light control? If so, all the more reason to go with the native 16:9 Boxlight 13T.

It appears Boxlight may have made some improvements on the base PLV60. They're spec'ed at 1200 lumens vs. 1000 for the PLV60HT, the Sanyo model that is available.

I used the XP21N because I need the brightness due to poor light control in my HT room. Otherwise, I would have gone for the native 16:9 Boxlight 13T.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ahhh, good point. The room is going to have 3 windows on one of the side walls, but black out shades are going in those. It is a dedicated media room to be used for watching DVD's and powerpoint presentations. (He works from home and will occasionally have clients over.)

I had read some negatives about the PLV-60 which is why I was leaning towards the 21, but I'll check into the boxlight.

thanks.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yeah, Brian, check this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008231.html

Sound like you can control light in that room. If so, native 16:9 for the viewing preferences you described makes sense.

The problems with the PLV60 mainly center around dust (early units weren't assembled clean enough) and scaler issues. The dust problem has apparently abated but dealing with it is pretty easy. The scaler issues are the same ones as those with the XP21N, although the report on the thread above seems to indicate the 13T scaler may be better.

Have fun!

Dan

·
Banned
770 Posts
Dan,

Boxlight does not make improvement in the projectors that they re-label. The Sanyo is also speced at 1200 lumens.

AJ Abrams

Product Analyst

Projector People

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
See my other thread about the 13HD. Boxlight may not have changed the projector, but they caused Sanyo to change it for them, so it differs (some problems solved) from the original PLV-60.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Way to go John! Not sure if you'll be able to capture the setup on a digital camera?! Do I need to purchase tickets in advance .. or just turn up in Cyrpus (as Usual)?

Antony

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's a sad day. I finally got a laptop with a DVD player so I could test if it was my Boxlight 38T or my Quadscan that was responsible for everything looking green. Well, it's just as green from the computer. If anyone comes up with any other ideas for why my projector turns brown to green, I would appreciate it because Boxlight claims it works perfect.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I have my green drive at about 26 or 27 and my red drive at 35 (were 32 is the default) per V/E. The colors are so strong and vivid that your overall color level may also be causing you to see things that would be more subtle. BTW, is it possible the colors in your room are mixing with the image due to the large amount of light created by the projector?

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
JHouse thank you for all of your help. If you have green at 27 and red at 35, you definately have the same problem as me. I can do that but doesn't it make your skin tones way way too red. I thought about it being the light in the room but there is no mistaking the fact that it looks like every brown headed person has moss green hair.(The walls are blue) What does it do to your skin tones when you set the red that high and also, do you do the changes you mention to your Quadscan after you changed the colors on the 21N?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.