AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Sanyo XP21N process a 1080i signal (I am assuming it would downconvert) that is passed through directly from an HDTV tuner? I am trying to integrate the Comcast HD box with my HT. Figured out I'll have to use a breakout cable to connect but don't want to spend the $50 for this if it isn't going to work anyway.

Dan

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Steve. Yes, I expect it to downconvert but the picture would still be much better than the typical video signal.

Unfortunately, this stupid 3100HD cable box only has component outs, so now I have to get a breakout cable to connect it to the Faroudja's HDTV pass through.

Dan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Dan-

How do you connect your processor to the projector? If it is the VGA in of the projector you may have problem. JHouse was unable to get good results connecting his RCA DTC100 to the VGA on his XP21N and had to use the component video inputs of the XP21N to get a good picture.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lenny, I am connected from the Farouja video processor to the projector via the RGBHV 15 pin connector. Using the components ins is out of the question because the two are in two different rooms.

Dan

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I believe you can change the output ot the farouja to component, that way it should pass your hidef. You would need a breakout cable to go from VGA to component at your projector end. This is what I did with my CS1 scaler

so I only needed to run 1 cable

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
JHouse could not get HDTV to work with VGA in. My experience was the same. HDTV works great with component video in only.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not good news! Doggg, no problem getting component out on the Faroudja, it has this as an option. But a bunch of money for a long component cable plus I still have to adapt the box. Lenny, were both you and Joe using the DTC100? Are you sure the problem wasn't specific to that unit? Did either of you have the Faroudja NRS?

When you say you couldn't get HDTV to work, in what way was that? Poor picture or no picture?

Did you all conclude the problem was the way the XP21N processes the signal from the "computer" input versus the component input? Any reason why I can't modify the projector end of my existing cable to input three plugs into the component RCAs of the projector or use some kind of breakout adapter on the end of the existing cable?

Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
JHouse had a DTC100 that had only VGA out. He was getting very poor quality trying to use the VGA in with his projector. I suggested that he get the VGA to component video adapter that RCA sells for the DTC100 and his problem went away. My HDTV receiver at the time only had component video out so that was the only way I could feed it. I had tried using a component video to VGA adapter with the XP21N and it did not work. I believe based on these two experiences that you will have to use the component video in for your HDTV. You can order a female DB15 VGA to component video RCA male that would probably work for your hi-def pass through I am not sure how your other sources will look if the video processor is sending an XGA signal into the component video inputs.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Just run the component signal through your VGA cable and get a VGA to 5 rca or bnc to conect to the component input on your projector. Dont use the VGA input on the Sanyo at all

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys, you don't know what a help this is. Doggg, the XP21N has only three component ins, so I think what I need is a VGA to 3 RCA, not to 5, yes?

So did you guys conclude the problem was the XP21N doesn't process the computer inputs properly for HDTV?

Dan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Dan-

Based on JHouse experience HDTV on the XP21N has to go into the component video inputs.

Yes you will need VGA female to component video RCA male just the RGB so it will be 3 not 5. However if you are running just one cable to the projector you may run into a problem with the DVD player if the video processor is sending 1024x768 thru the component video inputs on the projector.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lenny:

That shouldn't be a problem as I want the video processor to send the DVD signal as 1024 x 768, then I "anamorphic" it with my Panamorph.

Where's a good place to find this animal?

Dan

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
Thanks, guys, you don't know what a help this is. Doggg, the XP21N has only three component ins, so I think what I need is a VGA to 3 RCA, not to 5, yes?

So did you guys conclude the problem was the XP21N doesn't process the computer inputs properly for HDTV?

Dan
5 is the norm but you only use 3 of them. Your scaler will only pass a hi-def signal, it will not convert, so you can not have it set with a component hi-def in and an rgb out-put. hi-def component in, component out should work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.