AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I will be upgrading from the XP21N to the XP30 (Boxlight clones). I got an XP30 evaluation unit from Studio Experience and compared the two units for a few days. My findings were as follows:

1. XP21 whites were yellowish compared to the XP30. This may be due to the difference in the lamp types since I tried compensating for the brightness but could not get them to compare equally.

2. XP30 internal processing was much better and more stable. Picture quality on the XP30 fed from the SVideo out of my ReplayTV was as much better than the XP21. The picture was much more stable and sharper. This was clearly obvious when I displayed the ReplayTV menu.

3. XP30 has lens shift which allows you to move the image up or down while maintaining a perfectly square picture.

4. XP30 is considerably larger than the XP21 and about 5 lbs heavier.

5. XP30 is considerably brighter. The difference is not very noticable in a dark room but with ambient light it makes a big difference.

6. XP30 has DVI port

7. XP30 has preset Cinema and Normal image modes in addition to the Custom mode. It also has a video noise filter but I could not detect any visual difference in the image between having it set on and off.

The main reason for evaluating the XP30 was for the lens shift feature. My XP21N is mounted on the ceiling hanging on a Peerless mount about 14" below the ceiling. The lens shift on the XP30 will allow me to install the unit flush with the ceiling and have my screen positioned well below the top of the ceiling (actually a max of 20 degrees from the projector lens).

Now I want the XP30 for its superior processing and DVI as well as the lens shift. As mentioned before it is however considerably larger.

Peter

·
Registered
441 Posts
Phussary, thank you thank you thank you.

Your post couldn't have come at a better time.

I was finally going to take the new projector plunge and was going to spend the weekend debating between the XP30, XP21 and PLV 60. I didn't have an opportunity to demo the XP21 but after reading other posts and speaking to Arrow at infocomm, I learned I either had a really good XP30 demo unit or there was a considerable difference between the XP21 and the XP30. Based on your excellent comparison, it appears my observations were not too far out of whack. I was told that with the exception of lens shift and higher light output the units were the same. This of course was inconsistent with the information I had.

My conclusions of the XP30 compared to the PLV 60 was there was no comparison. The wide panel unit, however, has ease of use appeal and a lower price.

Life of course is never that simple. After finally jumping off the fence with respect to waiting for the new 16:9 DLPs, not bright enough for my application, along comes the XP40 and 45. All the goodies of the XP30 plus 500 more lumens and an 800:1 contrast ratio at, what another post claimed would be basically the same price.

Have you considered these units and if so do you know release dates?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Knuck,

I purchased my Boxlight 38T (XP21N) from Studio Experience and am a going to exercise my 60 day upgrade option which will expire sometime next week. So I dont't really have much time to wait for the new Sanyos.

Its a never ending story, new and better products will continue to come out and I just have to settle on something at least for a year or two.

Since you do not have any time constraints I have you may want to wait for the new Sanyos, but there again would you also want to wait until they get reviewed and tested???

Good Luck

Peter

[This message has been edited by phussary (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please keep in mind that XP30 and XP45 has the same MSRP. But XP45 has 500 more Lumen and 800:1 contrast. I am ready to go with the XP45 as soon as it is released. I will be moving next week.

After reading this forum for almost a year. I AM READY!

Peter

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
phussary:

What screen did you compare them on? I don't find the whites of my 38T (XP21N) the least bit yellow. But you have to calibrate the projector properly.

Also, I've read reports the XP30, which does not have MLA, seems more pixelated visually. Did you notice this?

Your observation about the internal electronics agrees with what I've read elsewhere.

What's the cost difference in the upgrade option? My XP21-N also came from studio experience.

Keep us posted on your observations and thanks!

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan,

I compared the PJs on the Da-Lite Perm-Wall 1.1 gain screen.

Believe it or not I was perfectly happy with the whites on my 38T ... until I compared the two side by side. Since then I had returned the evaluation 40T, and last night I was closely watching the whites on my 38T and they looked great, making me doubt myself wonder. I know for a fact though that unless you put them side by side you will think the 38T is great, but the 40T is even better, I should be getting my unit sometime tomorrow.

As for more pixellation on the 40T, I did notice that at first but I attribute it to the extra brightness, once I adjusted both units to equal brightness (by decreasing the brightness of the 40T) then the screen door effect was similar on both units. Actually the main reason I got the eval unit was to make sure that the screen door effect was not any worse because of MLA. I was pretty satisfied that MLA did not increase/decrease screen door provided you compared apples to apples.

If you send me a private email I will discuss the price with you but I will tell you that Studio Experience will match any price quote you get. I would definitely recommend them to anybody that wants to buy a projector. They will do everything within their power to help you out. They are courtious, polite and very proffessional. I believe that their parent company is Boxlight so you know you are dealing with a big reputable company that knows projectors

Peter

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Man, there sure are a lot of us in Houston.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yeah, I'll bet when you all turn on your HTs at the same time, the lights in Houston dim! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Phussary:

Certainly agree with your comments about Studio Experience. Looking forward to your comments on the 30T after you get it set up properly.

Dan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got my Boxlight 40T this afternoon.

After setting it up I discovered the following differences in addition to the above.

a. The 40T has three separate air filters each one fits closely into its oval opening. From what I remember from the 38T it had one large foam like filter that fit all three openings. I cannot recall if the individual openings had any other filters on them.

b. For all its worth, the wireless remote could also be used as a wired remote with the included cable which connects between the bottom of the remote to the Projector.

Peter

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Knuck:

I checked with several sources including Hank at Studio experience and was told the 30 does not have MLA.

The projector should be Panamorphable just like the 21.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.