Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sanyo XP30 Impressions

Features:

The XP30 has 1024 x 768 native resolution, is rated at 3000 Ansi Lumens, has MLA technology and a 700:1 contrast rating. It has all the inputs one would want, including component, RGBHV, RGB 15 pin, DVI and S-video. It has aspect control for 16:9 material in video mode and has a digital zoom function for custom display (although I wouldn’t suggest using it). It also has lens shift for easy set up and shifting between 16:9 and 4:3 material. Unfortunately, control for lens shift is not included on the remote. The unit uses the same type of lamp found in the PLV60, NSH, as opposed to the UHP lamp found in the XP18N and XP21N. The lamp is 250 watts and is rated at 2000 hours.

Source Material:

1. NTSC Canadian satellite signal through Svideo.

2. DVD

Equipment:

1. 52†x 92†1.3 gain screen;

2. Pioneer DV-37 component output (interlaced) to Quadscan Pro component input through hi res output on Quadscan to XP30 RGB 15 input;

3. Pioneer DV-37 component output (progressive) directly to XP30 component input;

4. HTPC, using an ATI Radeon VE video card RGB 15 output to XP30 RGB 15 input, using Power DVD software; and

5. Satellite receiver S-video output directly to XP30 S-video input.

Performance

The XP30 has impressive light output. Although my theatre has total control over ambient light, there was little picture degradation when the room was well lit. My room does not permit direct sunlight so I cannot comment on how well the XP30 would perform under that condition.

Colour reproduction on this unit is outstanding, a true strong point for this projector. Contrast is also excellent and combined with colour reproduction results in an almost 3 dimensional image when good source material is fed into it.

The internal processor is good resulting in little, if any, motion artefacts through Svideo, Component or RGB inputs. The processor is much better than the one in the PLV60.

Black level is good for a projector rated at 3000 ansi lumens. It is of course not CRT or DILA black but was certainly adequate for my criteria and no worse than the PLV60. The high contrast ratio certainly helps. See pics below to decide for yourself.

The unit is very quiet. It was sitting only a few feet in front of me (its fan blows out through the rear) and its low frequency hum did not interfere with my listening enjoyment.

There was one dust blob on the demonstration unit that was only noticeable as a blue blob on a black background without source material. I did not notice this blob while source material was played, even during dark scenes. It does not seem to have the dust problems the PLV60 appears to have.

The only thing I can say negatively about this projector is screen door/graininess. Note that I was not using the ideal screen for this demo. I suspect that a greyhawk or similar screen would reduce this problem. I found that calibration, source material and equipment made a significant difference here. For some reason, the quadscan yielded the greatest amount of screen door. The progressive component signal yielded considerably less and the HTPC feed yielded the least. Of course, the worse the source the greater the perceived screen door/graininess. The XP30 gives the user control over individual colour, brightness, contrast and sharpness in both computer and video mode. A careful adjustment of these settings will result in a significant decrease of perceived screen door, be it as noise graininess, screen door or otherwise, resulting in an enjoyable picture.

From a seating distance of approximately 15 feet, I was able to completely eliminate screen door with the exception of extreme bright scenes, where it was minimal. At 12 feet or less screen door became more apparent.

Sample Pictures

I have posted some of the pictures I have taken, hopefully demonstrating some of my impressions. The caption will indicate what the source or equipment for that image was. If anyone is interested I have more pics that I would be happy to E-mail. To view, please refer to the following link:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...260&a=13373408

Conclusion

I was extremely impressed with DVD material. This projector is capable of producing exceptional images.

I was less impressed with the XP30s handling of satellite images through its Svideo input, as it appeared “softâ€. This is partially as a result of my viewing the excellent DVD images through the component and RGB inputs, the inferior Svideo connection and partially as a result of the Canadian satellite feed which appears washed out compared to its U.S. counterpart (probably as a result of different compression technology). The images were certainly watchable and I have included a picture of the satellite feed at the above link. The XP30’s internal processor, however, did an excellent job scaling the Svideo feed, directly from the satellite receiver.

Unfortunately I do not have access to HDTV material and was not able to acquire a DVI cable. I expect that the results here would even be more impressive.

If you are extremely sensitive to screen door or have to sit within 12 feet of the screen the XP30 may not be for you. I would definitely choose this unit over the PLV60. I would also choose this unit over the DILA units because, for me, the increased cost of replacing the expensive, short-lived bulbs, noise and excessive heat does not outweigh the slight improvement of the image and higher resolution. The difficulty for me however, is whether to wait for the 16 x 9 DLP units with the new RGBRGB colour wheel (ie. Sharp) or the upcoming LCOS units.

The XP30 would certainly benefit from a Greyhawk screen and if compatible, a panamorph lens. It may benefit from the IMX processor.

If you have any questions I would be happy to help, if I can.

Brian

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...260&a=13373408

·
Registered
174 Posts
Brian,

Thank you for the review.

It seems like the XP30 is very similar to the XP21N with the exception of more lumens and a DVI port. My XP21N (actually a Boxlite) is bright enough for me on a DIY no gain screen. I am not too sure the DVI port benefit is worth the extra $1K.

It is hard to determine if the XP30 has a better scalar/deinterlacer than the XP21N since you did not have a chance to review one, but I do not think the video processing in my projector is that bad anyway.

Peter

[This message has been edited by phussary (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Thank you for the review.

I did one of these reviews recently and it is hard to do it well like you have.

I would strongly recommend a grey screen for the projector. You are viewing the projector at probably 80+ ft-Lamberts for peak white. While I normally feel that contrast is the most important thing to define image quality, your white and more importantly your black level are out of an ideal range of 15 to 30 ft-L for peak white. A .5 or lower type grey screen should really help you out.

This is not to say the XP30 has too many lumens, because the grey screen will also bring down the ambient light interference as well, which is a good thing.

I also don't know if the greyhawk is dark enough.

Good luck. I think the bottom line is: if you need the lumens and a good picture as well, nothing beats these new Sanyo units.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
411 Posts
All I can say is that those are the best pictures I have seen to date. Now if Sanyo could do all of that at an SXGA level, then you will have it all. Imagine also TI DLP machines with the new color wheel and WXGA chips with improved contrast (greater tilt angle on mirrors). It's all getting better very fast now.

Christopher

[This message has been edited by Christopher Calder (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Les:

Obviously U haven't been to Canada lately. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Quote:
Can you please go into further detail about what you did to minimize the screen door?
When I first turned the unit on, screen door was so noticeable that I almost returned it without playing around with it. Of course, human nature took over and I had to play.

The first thing I did was adjust my seating position. I found a minimum of 12 feet was necessary, 14 feet or more ideal.

Next, I did some basic calibration. At the time I posted the pics I did not have access to my copy of Avia. I reduced brightness and sharpness, while trying to maintain decent contrast and played around with the colour (eh) a bit. The more I played the more I noticed the perceived screen door disappeared.

As a result of the vendor lending me the unit for an additional day, I had an opportunity to do a basic calibration using Avia. The results were impressive. Perhaps I am not that sensitive to screen door, because I found that slight defocusing was not necessary. The only time I saw screen door was briefly during a very bright scene.

I know that you found screen door quite noticeable on the XP21N. I wonder if the XP30 has a superior internal processor. I was surprised to observe a significant decrease in screen door when I switched from using the quadscan, which on other projectors I have had great results, to using the component output directly from the DVD player to the component input on the XP30. The processor performed flawlessly.

The NSH lamp v. the UHP lamp may have something to do with it, although I can't see how.

From reading other posts, and from my experience with the XP30, I wonder if you had a defective XP21N.

Movienutt:

So far the only price I have been quoted is $11,500.00 Canadian. I haven't shopped around or bargained with the vendor yet. I expect that the unit can be had for $10,500.00. The best U.S. price I've seen is $6890.00, a five hundred dollar drop from one month ago.

Mr. Wiggles:

If I do purchase this unit I will definitely be buying a Grayhawk.

Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brian,

On the XP30 how did the the Pioneer DV-37 compare to the HTPC/ATI? Is the HTPC noticeably better? I've got the XP21N and I'm considering going HTPC instead of buying a separate DVD player.

I was glad to see your comments on the QuadScan. I bought and subsequently returned a QuadScan Pro. I'm using Canadian Satellite (ExpressVu) as a source (S-Video) as well and found that the QuadScan didn't to improve the image at all.

Scott

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sharper:

Quote:
On the XP30 how did the Pioneer DV-37 compare to the HTPC/ATI? Is the HTPC noticeably better?
Surprisingly, the Pioneer compared favorably to the HTPC/ATI. I think this had a lot to do with the quality of the internal processor in the XP30. The HTPC was slightly better in detail. They were both equal with respect to colour reproduction. I did not have time to properly set up the HTPC and, therefore, basically ran the signal straight through the Power DVD software with minor calibration.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.