I've been lurking for a couple of months, and have narrowed my search down to a Sanyo XP30 or XP21n. I think that the XP30 will meet my needs better, but I have several questions:
- I use several LCD monitors, and have seen that a "DVI-D black" is darker than a "VGA black." Additionally, over a DVI-D connection, there is better definition in dark areas, and less of a problem with dark gray ending up dark green-gray or dark red-gray. Is this the case with the XP30?
- I know the XP21n must be mounted upside down if it will be ceiling mounted. Is this the case with an XP30 too? I plan to have it on a high shelf, and it would be easier to mount it right-side up.
- Neither my wife nor I are very sensitive to screendoor, but consensus seems to be that the MLA on the XP21n helps a little. Is screendoor a big issue on the XP30, or about like any other LCD?
- Does anyone know of somewhere in/around Dallas to see either unit, preferably on a Grayhawk screen?
- Are there any other issues I should consider?[/list=a]
For background, the distance from projector to screen will be 36 feet, seating to screen 15 to 25 feet. The room has good light control, but my wife likes a fair amount of ambient light when watching anything but DVD.
I plan to purchase a 72 X 96 Grayhawk with horizontal masking, and an add-on long-throw lens for the projector.
Viewing will be 50% DirectTivo, 20% DVD on HTPC, 20% Computer (WinAmp, Games), 10% Console games (N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox). No HDTV sources are planned for the next couple of years.
[This message has been edited by saleh (edited 07-24-2001).]