Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everybody

During the course of searching for my first projector, I found many people suffered from ghost image on their Sanyo Z1 while connected to progressive DVD players in 480p mode.

The ghost image appeared to be clearly visible on subtitles where a sharp transition in colour or gray level occurs.

I am wondering whether this sort of undesirable artefact is inherent in the Z1 machine or not.

I think DVD players and cables play a more undesirable role in ghosting, but I'd like to know Z1's flaw related to ghost image if exists.

Expecting helpful clue,

Cheers

Taeweon

·
Registered
51 Posts
My only 480p testcase was my PS2 outputting Tekken4 (game) using component output. Result was crystal clear, no ghosting or anomalies whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I personally don't own a Z1, but one of my friends do.. We hooked up a computer to it running at 800:600 to see what we can. In looking at text boxes and such, there is ghosting.. However when running first person shooters such as Unreal Tournament and Max Payne, the results were awesome and unbelievable!!!!! We could not come up with a way to get rid of the ghosting... Searching on the net or other types of computer use except gaming is not an option. We tried to get 1:1 pixel mapping using powerstrip and were not successful. I am sure if we kept trying we would get there eventually. Maybe then the ghosting would disappear...

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have seen motion ghosting while watching a couple of episodes of Babylon 5 season 2, on a Panasonic RP91 DVD player using progressive, and on an HTPC with 1:1 pixel mapping (967x544 using powerstrip). When the camera moves or a person walks around the scene, I occasionally see their ghost from a previous spot they were occupying. I hope this is a transfer issue.

But, I haven't seen it on the few scenes I tried from the Fifth Element Superbit. Is the ghosting only apparent on still images? If you only see it on text or text boxes, you may have accidently used keystone. Keystone is bad.

Unfortunately, I see what looks like "peek-a-boo" screendoor on people's faces. That is, their faces have this pixellated look, then returns to normal a few frames later. Any ideas on that one? Happens on both inputs too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
edwardr132

How about reducing vertical frequency down to 50 Hz when doing 1:1 mapping? I heard a low vertical frequency produces less ghosting in CRT projectors. Maybe incorrect information.

maxleung

Ghosting in moving pictures results in losses of edge details while in still images layered look. Naturally, I have no idea about the pixellated look as a new comer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
from my experiences ghosting usualy takes place due to the quality of the video signal.

what kind of cables are you using and how long.

i use 30ft belden cables from bluejeans.com and they work perfect.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, also noticed the ghosting especially on subtitles. Using progressive scan at 480p and 10m Belden 1694A component cables. Wonder if it is any loose connection as I use the projector on a trolley and move it around a lot.

Any suggestion to remove the ghosting would be appreciated or is it an inherent thing with Z1?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would also guess that it is the cables. I don't have any ghosting with mine in 480p, even with 30ft cables.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I also suspect the cables, good cables aren't cheap but make all the difference. I also have a 30ft cable from my HTPC to my Z1. And eventhough their are pretty good and expensive cables, they do produce a little loss which is noticable when you press your nose to the screen. I first started out with a very cheap cable, it was a nightmare everything on the screen had a severe ringing of about an inch ! So what you'll be looking for is good SHIELDED cables, sure they're not cheap but it's such a waste of a perfectly good projector to use cheap cables.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.