AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first FP as I have 2 RPTV's (old Mits 50" and new Philips 60pp9601). I am curious as to using the Z1 in a room that is not a dedicated HT. I can control ambient light with drapes, but there are plenty of times I watch movies with a light on.

Will the 700 lumens be enough to use the proj in a room that is not totally dark.

The room is 20x20 and I will be throwing a ~100" diagonal image and viewing at about 16-17ft.

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am using a 110" grayhawk and a Z1.

When I turn on the light (8 x in ceilling 50W) to more than half... the picture starts to washed out rapidely.

May get better results with a higher gain screen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had a front projector as my primary television for years now. It's a CRT that puts out about 700 lumens. It's tolerable but I'm looking at 1000 as a minimum for my next PJ.

If you can't control light from shining directly on the screen, then I'd say 700 is not enough. BUT if you're just interested in having lights on for reading, eating, etc. then 700 might be fine. All you need to do is get some lighting that is more like spotlights than area illumination. Something shining down on you and not on the screen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.