AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual on the Sanyo PLV-Z1 says to select either the Bright mode or the Theater black mode when wathcing movies. Now I don't mind the fan noise in Bright mode, but my question is, what do other fellow Z1 user watch their movies in? Bright or theater black mode? I know projectorcentral says "We heartily recommend it for use in normal power mode. Once we get a clarification of the fan issue in the low power mode, we will update this review."

and what is the fan issue they're talking about?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I opt for the theater mode. The lumen output isn't that much more and the fan goes from silent to roar. The bulb life should also be extended running in the lower mode.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I run it in Theater Black mode for all viewing. The fan problem has been corrected by Sanyo. Early Z1 and I'll assume the 1HD had the same issue, would periodically kick into high fan mode when the theater black mode was selected. As mentioned above, you really don't lose much brightness in theater black mode.

·
Registered
304 Posts
yeah,

The early z1 had an issue in low power mode where the fans didn't run quite fast enough. This would result in temperature build up, and the fans automatically kicking into 'hairdryer' setting to bring the temp back down. This has since been corrected.

I run mine in low power mode. I see such a little difference in brightness, that I would much rather extend the bulb life, and not hear the fans. (They are very annoying to me in high power mode.)

The only exception might be, if I had friends over for a football game, where I might kick up the brightness, and no one would notice the fan noise because of all the 'fan' noise in the room. :)

-Jason W

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When watching a movie in low power mode, the fan will stay quiet most of the time but occassionally will kick in FULL THROTTLE like a hair dryer almost. Does this mean that I have an older model? I just purchased it from the Projectorpeople.com last week.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Interesting. Is your room exceptionally warm, or do you have the projector mounted in such a way as it might restrict ventaliation? (or recycle the very hot air coming out the back)

If the answer is no, then I would contact Sanyo and inquire about it. Yours shouldn't be doing that. Particularly if you just purchased it. I suppose it's possible you have an old unit, but I think these things are moving at a relatively steady rate, and I would think that projectorpeople do enough volume such that you'd have the newest version...

-Jason W

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I currently have it on a shelf in a bookcase. I will be ceiling mouting it soon, so I hope that should correct the problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yikes, I wouldn't do that. Maybe on the top shelf, where there is no back and the air can circulate a bit more, but not inside a bookshelf. Some projectors can do this if the fans fire out the side, but the Z1/1HD vents from the rear. And the air is very very hot. (see if you can hold your hand right behind it for more than a few seconds)

I'd be willing to bet that while it may not cause problems right now, you may be shortening the life of the bulb. When you consider the price of said bulbs, anything that compromises their lifespan is bad bad.

I have seen some people do this, however they mount the projector on a platform, (like a kitchen drawer) that slides forward out of the shelf, so when in use, it can breathe, and slide out of the way when not in use.

if this is a tempory setup, I would get a little tabletop fan like people use in an office enviornment, and set it in the shelf with it. Make it blow fresh cool air over the unit, and I'd bet you a nickle it won't spin up anymore. Such fans are very cheap at WalMart. (under $10)

Just my opinion.

-Jason W

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.