AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people have been talking about the "variable lamp" feature of the Panasonic TH-AE500, but I came across this page on the Sanyo site that seems to indicate that the LP-Z2 will also have a similar feature they call "reacting image mode." This is in addition to the iris feature. There's also some other useful information about the Z2 as well. Here's a link to the Japanese page that you can run through Babelfish for a translation if you're interested.

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertex...-j/0911-1.html

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here's a brief rundown. Keep in mind that I may be misinterpreting some of this information, so all this info should be viewed accordingly. I'll know for sure when I can finally see one in person and ask questions. I just found out to my dismay, that the Z2 was on display at a show in the Chiba prefecture (less than an hour away from my home) from September 17 to 20. There's another show from October 7 to 11, so hopefully I'll be able to attend that one.

Contrast:

A best-of-class contrast ratio of 1300:1 is achieved by controlling the lamp light intensity "reacting image mode." The lens iris mechanism compensates the dispersion of light automatically according to the input signal. So you can enjoy an image that has depth with rich image gradation. (I suppose this could also be interpreted to mean that the iris varies according to the input, but it seems unlikely that a mechanical iris could react quickly enough to make this effective.)

Other Points:

- The vertical and horizontal lens shifts cannot be used to their maximum ranges simultaneously. (Seems to mean that if you move to the maximum range on one axis, you lose a bit of range in the opposing axis.)

- A 100" screen can be achieved with only around 3 meters of throw distance. (This is most likely designed to cater to smaller Japanese homes.)

- HDCP enabled DVI-I input. (But we all knew this already.)

- You can load a custom start-up screen, whether it be a still frame from a favorite movie or "Welcome to Joe's Home Theater."

- Very quiet operating noise level of 24db. (I assume this in in low power mode)

- Various picture quality features:

- 2:3 pulldown for film originated sources.

- Black extension circuit (not much detail provided on this)

- 5 selectable color temperature settings. Individual RGB adjustments also available.

- 10-bit digital gamma revision function.

- Something called a 3-D digital color uniformity revision circuit. (Not quite sure what this is but it involves 7425 areas [825 areas x rgb x 3 gradations]. Maybe some kind of digital color uniformity monitoring and compensation system?)

- Good news regarding dust-blobs. The Z2 does indeed use an electrostatic pleated filter system to considerably reduce dust contamination.

- User-selectable picture modes: Full / full through / normal / normal through / zoom / subtitle in / exact wide

- Three lamp modes: Reacting image mode / theater black mode / bright mode

- Top and bottom keystone correction with a maximum range 20 degrees. (Not many of us will be using this I'll bet)

- Sorry, Sanyo's still not providing any information regarding bulb life.

Hope you find this info useful.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks Ktak

Very interesting. I wonder what the contrast ratio is with iris closed in theatre black mode ( the original 1200:1 ?? ).

Also it will be interesting to see whether the fan noise varies in reacting image mode or whether it is just louder ( most likely I would think ).

I hope this battle for high contrast ratios doesn't start to get silly. The new Panasonic/Sanyo etc with 10,000:1 contrast , it's blacks are fantastic when it is switched off.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Thanks a bunch for translating that info. MUch appreciated.:)

Man, I am debating on whether I go for this or the L500. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the price of the Z2 is and feedback on both PJs.

It will be funny if I get the L500 because I first started with the AE100 then upgraded to the Z1 and could possibly be getting the L500. Back and forth Panny & Sanyo.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The page says it goes on sale October 21st(in Japan). Hopefully someone will be able to compare it with the AE500 soon(which goes on sale on October 10th). I can't wait...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.