AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two years of waiting I will finally buy a projector as I always thought past offerings were either to expensive or not up to the level of performance I was looking for. I'm pretty sure with either of these two units I should be happy for years to come. Saw another thread z2 vs. hs20. However the price gap is much closer between the Sanyo z2 and the pannyL500. So by looking at the new specs of both the Z2 andL500 and also considering what the previous Z1/ L300 were like,which should be the better projector (keeping in mind this time around Sanyo has brought up the numbers on the resolution)? Who should have the better: 1)contrast 2) brightness 3)color uniformity 4)scaler 5)cleaner picture 6)connectivity 7)lamp life 8)mechanical issues 9)reliability 10)warranty.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Purely judging by specs, they will be nearly identical. The major differences being that the 500 has smoothscreen, and the PLV-Z2 has lens shift. The actual quality of the projected picture is impossible to debate at this point as no one has one :)

RG

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Guynn
Purely judging by specs, they will be nearly identical. The major differences being that the 500 has smoothscreen, and the PLV-Z2 has lens shift. The actual quality of the projected picture is impossible to debate at this point as no one has one :)

RG
Agreed. For me, it will come down to simple choices like lens shift. I have 3 rows of seating and the L500 would hang down far enough for someone to smack their face on it!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am also watching these 2 closely. I have an ae100, and am considering either upgrading now, or waiting for 1920x1080. I Know either of these two would be a tremendous upgrade compared to what I have, on the other hand I would just kick myself if affordable 1920x1080 is just around the corner. The ae100 just might be able to hold me till then.

On these 2, I think it will boil down to whether Panny's SmoothScreen is a plus or a minus.... Many of the published specs look similar. They may be using some of the same components, such as the LCD panel itself (probably Epson panels?) Sanyo has a better warranty (3yr vs. 1), Panny has longer bulb life... The lens-shift function on the Sanyo is pretty slick, too. Depending on your configuration, this feature alone could be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Unless a specific feature is a "deal breaker" because of your unique needs - it's kinda pointless to decide on a projector based on specs. It's all in the PQ - and we all will have to wait to see what these new PJs look like.:cool:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm still not yet sold on the 500's variable bulb brightness technique. My understanding is the 500's vary the brightness for light or dark scenes. So, it seems the LCD panels themselves are not capable of the contrast that the z2 is. Reports from CEDIA were that the modulated bulb did not work very well. Production units may work better though. The wide range lens shift of the Z2 is a big plus for it. Of these two projectors, on paper, I choose z2.

I look forward to initial owner reports. Bring on November/December!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm afraid if I wait until we get reviews, and then projector central does theirs announcing to the world the best one, it may be another case of the HS10 and subsequent back order delays. I don't want to take a chance and miss Christmas. So this is why I pose the question as I am considering pre-ordering before the floodgates open. RE: potus, your concern about higher resolution units around the corner, I guess you got to take the plunge sometime. Also I sort of remember reading something on a review at projector central on a high res. projector (could of been the new SONY SXRD) and they stated that there wasn't really a huge visible difference between todays XGA units. Sort of reminds me of the latest audio technology where the numbers are better but the average person couldn't tell the difference. As well both units I believe have DVI w HDCP which was probably the biggest reason why I waited( HS10 had it but....). Anyways I hope this iris thing you are all referring to doesn't kill either as a choice. (P.S. nonrelated- how do you separate paragraghs here)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am pretty sure I will be buying the Z2. That 1 year warranty on the panasonic is ridiculous. Would be great to know which was more problematic, the L300 or the Z1. Just searched to see what some of the other major mfr.'s offer and so far panasonic is the only one I found that is one year. Not sure if an extended warranty is offered by Panasonic but if it was I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the 500 dollar range to get it from 1to3 years like the Z2 has. Also I'm leaning towards the Hi-power screen and I wonder if the better lens shift on the Z2 would help in getting the projector on axis (which the Hi-power requires) if it is ceiling mounted?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.