AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I have been a happy owner of a Sanyo Z2000 since it came out. I think its time for a new bulb as he PQ has list some brilliance (1200hours).

Should I seek out a bargain on a new bulb, or is it time to upgrade? Its been awhile since I have researched PJs and Im sure there is a lot of great new features. I would have about a $1500 budget if I went for a new one.

thanks

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I was at the same crossroads as you two months ago.

I sold the Z2000 on ebay and got the Epson 8350.

You won't find a huge jump in PQ on any projector around $1500 and the Z2000 but you'll see an incremental PQ improvement.

The 8350 has sharper PQ and has better blacks. It's also noticeably brighter and PQ has more "pop" if you have a +110" screen.

*It does lack a lens shift lock so it takes a few more minutes to dial in the lens shift.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a tough call, I had my Z2000 pro calibrated and was really happy with the PQ. I found a bulb for $240 wth no tax or shipping, so its tempting to go that route, and maybe wait for an affordable 3D PJ in a couple of years.

thanks for your input

·
Registered
644 Posts
Buy the new bulb and have it calibrated - both will go a long way to giving you a great picture - and you will save a bundle.

You won't see a huge increase in picture quality even if you spend $4k on a new projector. All the improvements will be incremental and almost non-existent for anything except good quality blu-rays.

Of course if you hunger for that extra 10% improvement in blacks or a brighter

image, then that changes the equation.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
True that getting a new projector will result in incremental PQ increases but no matter how much calibration is done on the Z2000, it will not get rid of the problematic crushed blacks in dark scenes.

That is one of the cons of the Z3000 and below series. They are dark projectors but were considered adequate for their price point 1-2 years ago.

The 8350 has great black levels, it's bright and does not crush blacks like the Z2000.

btw:

I paid less than $600 for the 8350 after selling my Z2000.

So I essentially only paid a difference of $350 for a new projector instead of getting a bulb for $250.

Of course, I had to put up the entire amount of the 8350 to purchase it and gambled on selling the Z2000 to get the price I wanted.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had a Z2000 for a while before upgrading to an Epson 6500UB and then the Mits HC6800. The difference between them was minimal. Buy the bulb and wait for what comes down the line this next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts