AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

The lamp on my Sanyo Z2000 is dead but I had a good usage out of it:).

The manual says that I need POA-LMP114 replacement lamp.

While shopping for the lamp, I see a huge difference in price between original and OEM. I would appreciate your help in making a selection.

The only place I found for original lamp is a website called Projector Lamp Center. The price quoted is $334.

However, for OEM, Electrified.com lists it for $175 and Buy.com lists it for $185.

Is it better to go with the original or is OEM lamp okay? Also, has anyone heard of Electrified.com?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Vrushali

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
OEM IS Original. A price difference like that can be a Red Flag. Are these complete assemblies or bare bulbs? Are they really OEM or "compatibles"? Stay away from "compatibles", they usually aren't.

Looking at Electrified, I see it says "compatible". And I believe there are threads in this forum from people complaining about Electrified.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The problem is YOU have to be sure it THE EXACT, CORRECT bulb as specified by the mfr. All the numbers on the bulb must match. Do NOT trust anyone who says otherwise. Many bulbs LOOK alike but really aren't, so if you get the wrong one, it either won't work at all or may work for a few dozens hours before the projector shuts down.

If you are 1000% certain it is THE bulb for your projector, then go for it.

I recall one vendor who listed a lamp as being compatible with a long list of projectors. It didn't me very long doing some cross-checking to see that he was lying and should not be trusted. So you need to be very careful and diligent. Otherwise, you'll be wasting your money.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't know how many are still enjoying their Sanyo Z2000, but we've been using ours more or less on a daily basis (on high lamp) since 2007. Still puts out a smooth, clear, colorful picture on the Favi 100" screen my wife bought me for Christmas in 2010.

I replaced the original bulb at around 5000hrs (can't find the receipt, but think I paid ~$200), and this monday that bulb died after about 4000hrs.

Searched around, found the usual ~$125-$150 "equivalent" bulbs, a couple $300 "OEM" bulbs, then went ahead and ordered one from Projector Lamp Source that's clearly listed as "Genuine Original Lamp with Housing" for $175.
http://www.projectorlampsource.com/S...2000_lamp.html

Too good to be true, of course.

I called the next day to confirm it was in stock and really was an "original" Sanyo lamp, and the lady said "well the bulb is a Phillips, and the housing is equivalent to a Sanyo". Hmmmm.

OK whatever, it's in stock right, shipping today?

Yes it's in stock, but no we state that it will ship 24-48 hours after the order. You ordered Monday night, so it will ship Friday.

What? 48 hours would be Wed night, so it will ship Thursday morning right?

Maybe, more likely Friday you'll get it early next week.

Ok fine.

So I call back today, and get Adam. He tells me the lamp is out of stock, with more expected in 2 weeks.

WTF. Cancel.

They're still showing one bulb in stock today

F Projector Lamp Source.

So I cheaped out and ordered the dreaded $125 bulb from Electrified , via Amazon with my Prime membership's 2 day shipping.

2 hours after ordering this morning I get an email that it's shipped (left Whitestown IN at 3PM) and will be at my house in Milwaukee tomorrow.

Will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you in Milwaukee or Philadelphia, not that its important. I used to live in Bayview.

I've got an Electrifed bulb as my 4th for the Z4. I am at about 2000 hours now and I think it got dimmer faster than a "genuine" bulb, but so far I am pleased with it. Good luck and go to Summerfest for me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Milwaukee, it's been a while since I've been on AVS

We moved to MKE about 4 years ago, lived in a great apt on the East Side for a couple years, and bought a house near the airport about a year ago. Bayview is cool.

Thanks for the feedback, there aren't many choices these days for the ol LMP114 Z2000 bulb, so if I can get 2k hours out of a $125 one I'll be happy. At that point there may be a new $1500 projector that's improved enough to get me to 'upgrade'.

Oh yeah, we'll have a brat and a beer for ya also!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Found this thread as I (just now, finally) am getting to the point where my lamp needs to be replaced on my Z2000. I'm sad to see the lack of original bulbs out there - I've had this projector nearly 5 years, but apparently bulbs are no longer widely available. Not a huge selling point for buying a new projector! Anyway, I see a few on Amazon, but I'm kind of confused about exactly which is correct:

This one is $150:
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-PLV-1080HD-PLV-Z2000-PLV-Z3000-Projectors/dp/B005X13PX0

While this one is $116:
http://www.amazon.com/PLV-Z2000-Replacement-Projector-610-336-5404-LMP118/dp/B001AJ5O38

And both have the right part number (although the 2nd one says LMP118 instead of LMP114, not sure what the deal there is). Is this the only option at this point? I don't seen any actual projector retailers with this lamp available anymore. On the other hand there seem to be several ebay auctions like this one for under $100:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamp-for-Sanyo-LP-Z2000-LP-Z3000-PLV-1080HD-PLV-Z2000-/320727769469?pt=US_Projector_Lamps_Components&hash=item4aacdd617d

I also see some with 'bulb-only' - would this be difficult to install?

I'm just curious what is the recommended option for highest quality at this point. Thanks for any feedback!

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
^^^ As you may or may not know Sanyo was purchased by Panasonic and is no longer being produced and the OEM bulb inventory has dried up. With OEM bulbs nearly impossible to find you are left with choosing one of the Chinese clone bulbs. It's pretty much a flip of the coin as to how much mileage you will get out of whatever bulb you end up buying. Your options are to buy a clone bulb and hope to squeeze at least one year out of it and/or to start planning for a new projector.

·
Registered
489 Posts
OK - that kind of sucks, but I guess I don't really have an alternative. Thanks for the feedback. I did know Sanyo was bought by Panasonic, but I didn't realize it would impact the availability of bulbs.

A general question regarding projectors: is this something that can happen often? I love my projector, but if I get another one could the bulbs go out of stock 5 years down the road? I would hope not in general, but having been bitten in this case it makes me wonder. In general what kind of an expected lifetime will you get out of a $2000-$3000 projector these days?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL  /t/1297428/sanyo-z2000-replacement-lamp-original-versus-oem#post_22518287

A general question regarding projectors: is this something that can happen often? I love my projector, but if I get another one could the bulbs go out of stock 5 years down the road? I would hope not in general, but having been bitten in this case it makes me wonder. In general what kind of an expected lifetime will you get out of a $2000-$3000 projector these days?

It's just unfortunate that Sanyo went of business and left owners without readily available sources of replacement bulbs. The Z2000 was produced between 2007 and 2009. My previous projector the Panasonic PT-AE900U was produced from 2005-2007 and OEM bulbs can still be found. Generally speaking 5 to 10 years is not unreasonable for a projector with bulb availability. Your Sanyo is more the outlier. Your last option - try contacting Sanyo/Panasonic for parts perhaps they still have an inventory.

http://us.sanyo.com/Commercial-Projectors/Technical-Support-Repair

- G

·
Registered
650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL  /t/1297428/sanyo-z2000-replacement-lamp-original-versus-oem#post_22518287

OK - that kind of sucks, but I guess I don't really have an alternative. Thanks for the feedback. I did know Sanyo was bought by Panasonic, but I didn't realize it would impact the availability of bulbs.

The Lamps are still being made by whoever the original OEM Manufacturer is. I'm Guessing that for the Sanyo it was Philips but there are several other manufactures that will give you a decent product. Could you post some pictures of the actual Bare Bone Lamp with front ,,,rear ,,,side,,, and top views and list the lamps dimensions and any writing that is on the actual Lamp? Maybe someone in here can help you.

Bohanna.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm back again, as once again it's bulb shopping time for the 'ol Z2000

The $125 "Electrified" bulb I purchased in Feb of 2012 kicked the bucket last night. Over the last 15 months I estimate it's been turned on and off approx 400 times for a total of ~1500 hours of 'on' time, almost exclusively on 100% brightness. Ashamed to admit I hadn't cleaned the filter in probably 4 months.... It doesn't look that bad but surely didn't help it to keep it as cool as it could have.

Anyway at ~$0.08 / hour I figured Electrified earned another chance, and happily their price went down to just $88 including Prime's 2 day shipping. 1 day delivery was only $4 more so even though I don't need it for tomorrow night had to go for that to see if they can really deliver in 24 hours.

Going back through my records I see that this is actually the 3rd bulb I've killed since buying the Z2000 in Nov of 2007. The original one died after 28 months and ~2800hours and I replaced it with a one from "Advanced Lamps" for $251 in April of 2010. That one lasted until Feb of 2012 (22 months and ~2200 hours = $0.09 / hr). So even though the cheaper they get the faster they burn out I'll only need to get ~9 months out the latest Electrified bulb to stay at the same $/hr cost.

I can't tell any difference in the PQ from bulb to bulb but then again I don't have a pro screen or totally light-controlled room.

Here's the one I just ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069VK7ZW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is even cheaper(!) at $73 shipped but no Prime delivery so it could be weeks to get:
http://www.amazon.com/PLV-Z2000-Replacement-Projector-610-336-5404-LMP118/dp/B001AJ5O38

If the bulb I bought doesn't work as advertised I'll report back, otherwise see you hopefully in no less than 9 months!

cheers and happy viewing

By the way, I haven't been keeping up with the Projector scene in a long time, but is there anything out there that totally kicks the PLV-2000's butt for under $1500, better yet under $1200 yet? Not willing to spend more than ~$150 or so for 3D, but wouldn't mind a brighter, smaller, sharper, quieter, cheaper replacement and seems like 6 years should be long enough for that to have come out. Anyone who replaced their Z2000 what'd you get and how does it compare?

thanks!

tags:

LMP114

610-336-5404

610 336 5404

PLV2000 replacement bulb

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm likely going to be buying a replacement bulb as well soon, but I have a question. The "Lamp Replace" light just came on recently - does this come on automatically at a preset number of hours, or does it come on when the lamp has actually degraded in some measurable way? I just passed 2000 hours, so I'm guessing it is just number of hours. Since I have a light-controlled room and keep the lamp on relatively low brightness, I'm basically wondering if I should be able to get a significant number of hours beyond 2000 ... or if I should just replace it now.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL  /t/1297428/sanyo-z2000-replacement-lamp-original-versus-oem#post_23327809

I'm likely going to be buying a replacement bulb as well soon, but I have a question. The "Lamp Replace" light just came on recently - does this come on automatically at a preset number of hours, or does it come on when the lamp has actually degraded in some measurable way? I just passed 2000 hours, so I'm guessing it is just number of hours. Since I have a light-controlled room and keep the lamp on relatively low brightness, I'm basically wondering if I should be able to get a significant number of hours beyond 2000 ... or if I should just replace it now.

The Lamp is on a preset countdown timer. just reset it and you could get another couple of thousand hours. Keep it on economy mode and it will last longer. MAKE SURE to KEEP the filter(s)clean.

If and when you do get a new lamp keep it on economy mode or you could cook the Blue LCD panel.

Bohanna

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have had my z2000 since early 07, the first bulb lasted 3= years but the new ones only 1 year. Just got one from amazon for only $68.00 will see how long it lasts.. see ones in Canada from projector lamps for $175 up to $325. wondering it it makes a difference.

I do notice a yellow center in the screen .. hard to see but its there. Does anyone know if the pj can be serviced to fix this.

Also what would be a good option for a new unit.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Paulie  /t/1297428/sanyo-z2000-replacement-lamp-original-versus-oem#post_23758144

Have had my z2000 since early 07, the first bulb lasted 3= years but the new ones only 1 year. Just got one from amazon for only $68.00 will see how long it lasts.. see ones in Canada from projector lamps for $175 up to $325. wondering it it makes a difference.

I do notice a yellow center in the screen .. hard to see but its there. Does anyone know if the pj can be serviced to fix this.

Also what would be a good option for a new unit.

The yellow center in the image is the Blue LCD screen beginning to cook. It will ONLY get worse. You want to keep a new lamp in economy mode or you will cook the panel quicker. Also let it go into sleep mode if you have the option and there is no signal present. If you leave a stagnant image on the screen it will burn the panel quicker. Sorry dude but if you got 6 years out of the projector you got your moneys worth. The replacement panel and polarizer will cost about 300.00 or more if you can find them and you are looking at about 2 hours of labor to replace and align a new one. You want to send it to someone who specializes in LCD projectors as alignment is pretty tricky. Fixing them is more of an art than a tech repair.

FY I- The downside of the LCD technology is the Blue panel burn out. The downside of the DLP tech is the color wheel bearings wearing out or the chip spotting. The DOWNSIDE to ANY of the latest tech period are the Capacitors blowing!!

So chose your poison!! Bohanna.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.