AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I currently own a Panasonic ae700 for 2 years now and I am thinking about upgrading. I have been eyeing the Benq 8720 since the price has gone down a lot; but the Sanyo Z5 has caught my attention also. If anybody has seen both in action, can you please tell me based on your impressions if the Benq is worth the $1000 + premium. Any info is much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Umm, my guess is the benq would destroy the ae700, but thats just from looking at specs and reading reviews.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys... eaten, if you google it you will find a few in that price range. I don't think we are allowed to discuss pricing but I can tell you prices on the 8720 have gone down.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Becareful what your googling for eme1, I did you you said and all the ones I have found under 4k are refurbs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm also interested in this so I've ressurected this thread.

No one who has seen both in action has commented yet, anyone have any insight?

From reviews I've read, it seems like the Z5 can match the 8720 for black levels and shadow detail, but I have to guess the two units have very different looks as they are based on totally different technology.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I doubt very seriously the z5 can match or beat the 8720, except maybe in brightness, the 8720 should destroy the z5. The optics alone probably cost more then the z5

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
the 8720 was Art's (projectorreview.com) PJ of choice before he moved to the RS1.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would think the 8720 would beat the Z5 too, but even in Art's review, he said the Z5 had better black level and shadow detail than the 8720.

That surprised me, but it's right there in his review!

I'd love to hear from people who have seen both in action.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.