AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know we won't be seeing a z6 until the end of the year likely and this is probably a total waste of time, but what improvements do you guys think sanyo will put in the new model? Will this be 1080? The z5 is tops on my list at the moment, but from what I hear it ain't the brightest. I love the placement flexiblity and the sharpness, but if they do make it brighter does this mean the screen door "grid" will be more apparent? Is this why they kept the brightness down in this model? I'm hoping the new model pumps out a few more lumens so I can get a 120 inch screen going. I guess out of the box colors really suck with this thing (not really a huge deal, but still not the best thing). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I dont think it will be 1080p. If sanyo brings a 1080p lcd to market it will be in a different line. The demand for 720p will be around for a while so the "z" line will probably stay 720p. It will probably be the next gen C2fine chip with more lumens and better contrast.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See that's the thing. I really wanted the mitsubishi hd1000u for the longest time. Many people love this thing because of its low price, high brightness and rich colors. I was willing to overlook the DLP issue because of the price (I get motion sick real easy and I am sensitive to rainbows). This steered me to the Z5 because I have a smaller room where I can sit way back and placement wouldn't be an issue and I would avoid some of DLP's shortcomings for a little more money. But I want to buy a home in the next year and set up a theatre with a GIGANTIC screen (at least 130 inch). I've got my ear to the street about what sanyo is going to do next time around. I'll gladly stick with 720 at the lower price, but I'm going to need more lumens from their next unit to make my dream a reality. But this is my big issue here: will sanyo's pixel grid be more evident when or if they bump the lumen output up for bigger screens? I understand sitting further back will alleviate many of these problems, but this kind of defeats the purpose of having such a monster screen! From what I understand, the z5 is the sharpest pj under 2k and in my eyes this is the most IMPORTANT thing a pj can be good at, but it is important to understand at least for me that these pj's are for HUGE screens and a 92 inch screen isn't that monsterous for me. Maybe the panny would be my best option, but why the high price? Oh well, looks like another no pj year and more sideline sitting...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
SLOTH, you may want to look at the Epson TW700 (or 810) since from all that I've read it is as sharp as the Z5 with more lumens. However, if you want to go to such a large screen, the AX100 might be better to eliminate the SDE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.