Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Is the Saphire 9200 sufficient for running a CRT projector ?(VGA to BNC)

Any benefits for moving up to a 9600 ?

Would I see a difference between the pictures ?

Planning on TheaterTek.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The 9200 is based on the old 8500 as far as I know. The 9500 and above are much better for DVD, better mpeg decoding.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I too am interested in this. I currently have a Sapphire 9000.

Could you attempt to quantify the differences visually, please?

In your opinion, is it worth the cost of an upgrade if you already have a card?

The progression of numbers confuses me. I can get a 9600 with 256 M for less than a 9500 with 64. Will the plain old 9600 get this improvement?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
You will see less blocking artefacts and better colours with the 9600, I think the difference is worth the money, but then I have a 9" CRT projector, so any small differences are more visible. All the Radeon cards with a model number of 9500 and above benefit from this.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks!

I have an NEC XG with an 80" wide 16:9 screen. Could you please explain what the blocking artifact looks like?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Its a type of mpeg cpmpression artefact, compressed areas look like blocks of single colors rather than individual pixels.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I also found out that the Radeons above 9500 (including) decode more precisely leading to a picture with much less blocking artefacts. With the older Radeons you get an accumulation of inaccuracies between the I-frames which looks like a "pumping" of many macro blocks.

In general this affect occurs on MPEG streams with lower bitrate (much quantization) or in scenes with one-color-shaded surfaces.

It looks like this:
http://oellerer.net/infinity_classics/!!!/Blocking.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here are the technical differences between the the Radeon 9200 and the

Radeon 9600:

Engine DX Chip clock Memory clock Bus

9600 RV350 DX9 325 365 64 or128-bit

9200 RV280 DX8.1 250 400 128-bit

Both versions share the same excellent de-interlacer with motion compensation, the 9600 has some advantage in rendering highly

compressed videos, such as streaming videos from the internet.

If you are inerested in gaming, I would definitely go with the 9600,

the performance increase I think would justify the higher cost of the

9600. I like either one of them in their basic configuration, because

they don't require a fan for cooling, so no noise!

wbrack

Quote:
Originally posted by johnd12
Hi

Is the Saphire 9200 sufficient for running a CRT projector ?(VGA to BNC)

Any benefits for moving up to a 9600 ?

Would I see a difference between the pictures ?

Planning on TheaterTek.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FoLLgoTT
I also found out that the Radeons above 9500 (including) decode more precisely leading to a picture with much less blocking artefacts. With the older Radeons you get an accumulation of inaccuracies between the I-frames which looks like a "pumping" of many macro blocks.

In general this affect occurs on MPEG streams with lower bitrate (much quantization) or in scenes with one-color-shaded surfaces.

It looks like this:
http://oellerer.net/infinity_classics/!!!/Blocking.jpg
FoLLgoTT, could you please tell me if these screen shots are actual captures from the DVD player software or simulated.

The difference is very noticeable there, but I've never picked it on my own 9200.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Actually the diffrenece on my CRT projector looks even greater than in the screen shots (probably more obvious with moving video). I've tested most of the non AIW cards so between us I think we have tested virtually all of them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I too have been considering a higher spec ATI card.

If i recall correctly the improvements in blocking are only evident when using hardware mode - are there similar advantages if using software as required for FFDShow.

Cheers

Bill

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just received the Sapphire Atlantis 9600. Is it as easy as just swapping the cards or do I need to do something special with Powerstrip to preserve my settings?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.