AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the saphire radeon based video cards a worthy purchase? Are they problem prone? I am looking at buying a 7500 for my first HTPC, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have the 7000 64mb and it seems to be working fine. I have only done web based applications, no DVD's or gaming yet.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sapphire makes almost all of the ATI retail and OEM cards. So truthfully, getting a Sapphire basically means you are getting an ATI retail board.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and order one.

Is there any reason to go with the DDR ram instead of SDR ram on the video card?

Thanks again.

Arno

Nice looking pics. What is your current HTPC setup? I will be running everything into a Barco Graphics 800.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I almost forgot.

I am running XP pro.

If you intend to watch WMP9 movies, I recommend that you get at least an XP2800+.

Lower than that and it stutters...

Arno

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Selling your ECP? What are you replacing it with?

Does the XP2800+ refer to processor speed? I'm going w/ a 1Ghz celeron for now, just to get my feet wet and see if I really want to go crazy with speed/memory/video card.

Any idea about the memory question?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes XP2800 is the processor speed.

A celeron should be fine provided that you have a good video card.

You will NOT be able to play WMP9 encoded material.

Only regular dvd stuff

(Someone correct me if I am wrong of course)

As for the memory type, I would say that DDR is better.

Is that going to make a difference? I do not think so...

I am replacing my ECP with a NEC PG9+.

That should make a decent difference.

Arno

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I understand about the PG9+, it certainly will make a difference.

Thanks for info. I know I'll be missing the wm9 stuff but I don't even have HDTV running on my pj yet. Not enough stuff over direcTV or locally to justify the price of entrance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No one locally sells the Sapphire branded cards that I know of. There are a lot of Power Color, however, but I've been told are of lesser quality than Sapphire.

Does anyone know a good source online or in DFW for Sapphire cards?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just ordered mine from NewEgg. I can't think of anyone that stocks them locally, you might try CompUSA, I know they started selling "their brand" of video cards, probably the saphire card just rebranded. Of course they want more money for it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sapphire makes pretty much bit for bit matches for ATI product. I have a Radeon 8500 from Sapphire and it works great.

Get the DDR card though, especially if you want to do any gaming or anything requring video processing (like playing vids) it will just run better. I can't imagine the cost being more than $10 or 15 now so go with DDR.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cooltalkingfrog
I almost forgot.

I am running XP pro.

If you intend to watch WMP9 movies, I recommend that you get at least an XP2800+.

Lower than that and it stutters...

Hmmm... that's weird, I have an AMD 2400+ and I get no stuttering from any of the WM9 HD demos. Running 512MB of DDR333 memory clocked down to DDR266 memory to match the FSB of the CPU... and on an NForce2 mobo... with a 128bit wide memory path.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by METANIUM
No one locally sells the Sapphire branded cards that I know of. There are a lot of Power Color, however, but I've been told are of lesser quality than Sapphire.

Does anyone know a good source online or in DFW for Sapphire cards?
I ordered a Sapphire 9500 (no pro) 128M DDR this weekend from Newegg too. I did notice Fry's has an Xtasy clone 9700 pro for $349. That seems to be a good price, but I don't really know, it was a little out of my budget, since I am also putting together an Nforce system right now (ASUS AX78N D, XP 1700+ with good stepping codes, and Corsair XMS 3200 256Mx2, throw the 9500 in, and reuse everything else)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
"Hmmm... that's weird, I have an AMD 2400+ and I get no stuttering from any of the WM9 HD demos. Running 512MB of DDR333 memory clocked down to DDR266 memory to match the FSB of the CPU... and on an NForce2 mobo... with a 128bit wide memory path."

=====================

And I can play all but "liquid" without stuttering on my lowly 1700+/256 meg ddr/ ati 9000 pro, and if I tweak everything (OC, close everything but wm9, raise proprity to high etc.) , I only get a 1/2 second stutter right at the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.