AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Diamond Radeon 4670 that I got from Fry's 3 weeks ago for 107. I thought that was a pretty good deal until I was on Newegg today and saw a Sapphire 5750 for 129. Is the difference enough to be worth it? Here's the link to the two cards:

4670

5750


I plan on getting more into PC games and away from my 360 so I am looking for enough firepower to make it worth it. I have a Phenom X4 9150e 1.8Ghz with 5GB ram, 640GB HDD, 500watt Antec basiq psu. I'm not even gonna pretend to be the most knowledgable computer guy out there so if someone has some recommendations I would appreciate it. I want to keep the card under 130 if I can. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,152 Posts
Other than the fact the 5750 is a dx11 card, I would say yes. It is definitely worth the extra $20 just for that, but hell, if you're going for the 5750 you might as well go whole hog for a 5770 .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
I would check newegg for an open box 5770.. I have seen quite a few. They go for around 120-130$. I am thinking about picking up an open box 5870.. My current cards get a little to toasty for my taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I forgot to mention that I am currently on a 50" 720p plasma and the best I can do is 1360x768. I do plan on upgrading to a 58" plasma fairly soon that is 1080p. Would it matter then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/18196594


Oh I forgot to mention that I am currently on a 50" 720p plasma and the best I can do is 1360x768. I do plan on upgrading to a 58" plasma fairly soon that is 1080p. Would it matter then?

58" plasma....are you looking at the Panasonic, I'm guessing. They are awesome! If I were getting rid of my 56" Samsung dlp, that is what I would do. I'm not a huge fan of lcd, I think plasma still offers better picture quality for the $. On video card, I agree with the above get the 5770.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrheretic /forum/post/18196306


I would check newegg for an open box 5770.. I have seen quite a few. They go for around 120-130$. I am thinking about picking up an open box 5870.. My current cards get a little to toasty for my taste.

I heartily disagree here. They are "open box" for a reason. Every "open box" product I purchased from Newegg failed within a matter of months. Not worth the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18198594


I heartily disagree here. They are "open box" for a reason. Every "open box" product I purchased from Newegg failed within a matter of months. Not worth the risk.

Never had a problem with open box items dying on me.. Missing accessories can be a pain though.. Then again I have loads of extra adapters and cables.. If you need anything that would come with the item other than the item itself then open box is not for you.


To each their own though.



Still trying to nab an open box 5780.. Those suckers don't last long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've decided to go with the 5750. I want to keep it under 130 and my needs aren't that great so the performance differences between the two cards to me isn't worth the price difference. It's not that I can't shell out for the 5770 I just set a goal for myself and I want to stick to it. Besides, I will be upgrading again sometime later this year assuming their new 6xxx cards make it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after all that I went with the 5770. lol. I took the 4670 back to Fry's and while there just wanted to see what they had. There was a Diamond 5770 for 160 new so the instant gratification bug in me said what the heck go for it. I can't believe how much better this card is than my old card. I mean I can play Crysis at 1080p on high settings (no AA though lol) and the framerate is silky smooth (not my 720p set, a 1080p LCD at my brothers house). I can see why people like PC gaming. This might not be the best card out there but for me it's amazing and I'm glad I just forked out the extra cash for it. So much for sticking to my goals lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/18200956


Well after all that I went with the 5770. lol. I took the 4670 back to Fry's and while there just wanted to see what they had. There was a Diamond 5770 for 160 new so the instant gratification bug in me said what the heck go for it. I can't believe how much better this card is than my old card. I mean I can play Crysis at 1080p on high settings (no AA though lol) and the framerate is silky smooth (not my 720p set, a 1080p LCD at my brothers house). I can see why people like PC gaming. This might not be the best card out there but for me it's amazing and I'm glad I just forked out the extra cash for it. So much for sticking to my goals lol.

Awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18198594


I heartily disagree here. They are "open box" for a reason. Every "open box" product I purchased from Newegg failed within a matter of months. Not worth the risk.

every open box thing I bought from newegg has worked fine and included all accessories (sometimes more than regular!).


My 780i doesn't overclock at all, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Open box has been a mixed bag for me. I've had some great success's with it and I've had some miserable failures. Overall though I am never opposed to it if I can get a good value. Heck my audio receiver, Blu-ray player, and PS3 were open box and they've worked like champs for the time I've owned them. I would have taken an open box 5770 if I could have found one but I'm happy with my purchase and I want to start seeing what this card can do. Knowing my general setup (Phenom X4 1.8, 5GB ram, 5770, 720p plasma) is there a particular game or demo or whatever anyone would recommend to test my new setup out on? I'm pretty psyched after actually being able to play Crysis on a somewhat normal framerate (regardless of detail level) so I want to see what this humble rig is capable of. Thanks to everyone who recommended the 5770!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
I'm loving my 5750 - all three of them
My pc had a 4850 and I was pretty happy with it - then my dad asked me to build him an HTPC, so I used a passive-cooled 5750, and I loved it so much I bought two of them to run crossfire in my system (at the same time I got on a super-silent PC kick). Now I can run just about anything maxed out, my comp is pretty much entirely inaudible (only hd noise, and even that is EXTREMELY well silenced), and my temps max in the 40's
I'm thinking to do that so easily with anything more "hardcore" would require liquid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
Fry's had a 5770 card for $149.99 after rebate in the ad on Friday. With tax and having to wait for a rebate, not the best deal, but decent if somebody doesn't want to wait to get one shipped to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I saw that they didn't really give favorable reviews to the 5770 but that's alright, it's better than anything I've owned before and I can play my games on pretty decent levels so it's cool. Plus it didn't cost 300-400 bucks like the higher-end series do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
I picked up an open box 5970 for 450$.. Don't ask me why it was an impulse buy..


Now I need 2 more monitors.. By the time I can afford those the 5970 will be oldschool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrheretic /forum/post/18281783


I picked up an open box 5970 for 450$.. Don't ask me why it was an impulse buy..


Now I need 2 more monitors.. By the time I can afford those the 5970 will be oldschool.

Sheesh....I dont miss trying to be on the cutting edge of PC technology anymore. For what you just spent I could have bought a new PS3 & a new Wii....and enjoy a lot of great games at slightly lower resolutions....
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top