AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that ABC will show Armageddon in HD this Saturday?

Please, someone tell me it's true!!!

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
It was last time ABC aired it, so probably yes.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The last two times ABC showed it in HD it was zoom/cropped from the 2.35 AR to fill the 16:9 frame, so a DVD in OAR is better.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
So what is better -- watching Armageddon (or any movie) on HD OTA with commercials, or on DVD with no commercials? As much as I love HD, I think I would go with the DVD copy (assuming I own that movie on DVD).

·
Registered
263 Posts
> The last two times ABC showed it in HD it was zoom/cropped

> from the 2.35 AR to fill the 16:9 frame, so a DVD in OAR

> is better.

The first 5-10 minutes of the ABC broadcast was in OAR (to show the film credits, I suppose.) Then the broadcast reverted to the zooming you talk about. Unfortunately, the picture lost a lot of sharpness after zooming.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
Gosh, ABC has aired this turkey at least 3 times in HD already! Why not something new?
Have you seen the televised ads for it yet? I laughed my arse off because it kicked in why ABC is showing it again.

Who do you think would get top billing in the teaser ads for this movie. Bruce Willis? Ben Afleck? Liv Tyler? Billy Bob Thorton?..Nope...All those stars and ABC uses the guy who stars on their mega-flop "MDs" as the top-billed "star" while promoting "Armageddon." As if people who tune in to watch this movie will suddenly have an insatiable appettite for "MDs."

It reminds me of a few years back, oh about eight or so, when NBC was showing "A Few Good Men." It was at the dawn of the "ER" craze and top-billing in their ads for the movie went to Noah Wyle over Nicholson, Cruise and Moore. Wyle was in it for, what, about five minutes? Good stuff...:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The space shuttle catches on fire in the vacuum of space in this movie. Need I say more ? Having gone to film school and realizing how hard it is to make movies, I'm generally not too critical on movies. But this movie is absolutely horrible. The best thing I can say about it is that it's a great example of all that is wrong with Hollywood today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.