AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,436 Posts
It won't. The b/c combiner strips out unused transponder frequencies from the B sat and frequency shifts the C transponders down to those slots. That's an oversimplification, but that's basically what the combiner does.

You'll also need the special C LNB since the focal point and frequencies are different from the other two.

Doc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad I asked, it's not nearly as simple as I pictured.

Where can I buy a Sat C kit?

Best Buy?

Roger.

·
Super Moderator
18,436 Posts
Doubt Best Buy has 'em. From what I've seen, you either have to get one through DirecTV or off of the web. Search "Channel Master" and "DirecTV" and "kit" and see what that turns up. There are some on ebay, too, now that the people in the Carolinas don't need them for local channels, anymore.

Good luck!

Doc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help Doc, I found one for a great price.

If anyone else needs one pm me.

Directv expects a year long contract with premium choice.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The B/C combiner does nothing to change signals. It is a low loss broad band power pass to both ports combiner. the frequency conversion for Sat C is done in the C LNB by means of a retuned local oscillator.

However it is true that a standard diplexor wil not work.

The oval dish does not have a "FOCAL POINT" it has an ellipsoid shape which gives it a "FOCAL REGION" occupied by the three LNB's. The mount for the LNBs offsets the C LNB to compensate for the slight mis-alignment that otherwise would occur. Physically the housing and neck of the C LNB in INDISTINGUSHABLE from any other LNB.

LNBs come in two differant housings with slightly differant appearance depending on manufacturer. The two main OEMs for LNBs are CalAMP and Grundig.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogerdon

Directv expects a year long contract with premium choice.
Not true. Call & ask for Sat C option #3, self install. About $8.50.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was only told of option 1 & 2. Figures, I hear something different from every operator I talk to.

Even with option 3 they would want a year of at least Total Choice+Showtime $47.99, right?

I hate signing a year contract.

Roger.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Best Buy DOES carry them but not in the retail store. It has to be ordered online and is $39.95. The kit is put together by Terk and has the combiner, cables, LNB, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogerdon
Glad I asked, it's not nearly as simple as I pictured.

Where can I buy a Sat C kit?

Best Buy?

Roger.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does anyone if their is a difference between the Sat C Kit for Terk versus the kit for Channel Master. They physically look the same.

I have a Channel Master Oval with a 4X4 and recently ordered the C kit for the Terk because I could not find one that specifically said it was for the CM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the fact that this C LNB is different from all the others why I'm

apparently unable to share the 110 LNB on my Dish500 dish with

DirecTV, even with the B/C combiner? I've been using the 119 LNB

on that same dish for some time for both Dish & DirecTV with no

problem.

In other words, the only place to source the 110 signal is from

the "special" LNB on the "special" DirectV oval dish?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was unable to use an elliptical dish and instead had to use two separate round dishes mounted in different areas on my house.

My issue: I want to receive the new Showtime HD - due to the fact that I do not have the right dish, can I some how attach the 3rd LNB and buy a new multiplexer (the one I have is for small one that does not allow for 4 tvs)

I have seen pictures of some guy attaching it with duct tape (not the best way but a interesting idea)??

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Why couldn't you use the eliptical dish? It supports 3 LNB's. Or am I not understanding something? I just ordered by 110 LNB to install on my eliptical dish.

Quote:
Originally posted by bl4scott
I was unable to use an elliptical dish and instead had to use two separate round dishes mounted in different areas on my house.

My issue: I want to receive the new Showtime HD - due to the fact that I do not have the right dish, can I some how attach the 3rd LNB and buy a new multiplexer (the one I have is for small one that does not allow for 4 tvs)

I have seen pictures of some guy attaching it with duct tape (not the best way but a interesting idea)??

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bl4scott

Thanks for your help!!
You could try but the problem isnt just the mounting of the lnb (whether it be tape or tie straps, whatever) it's more that a run of the mill round dish is only designed to see one slot at a time. Course then again the ellipticals are only designed to see 3 slots at a time yet people as you say have strapped a fourth lnb on in some cases for a 4th satellite.

You'd also have to find the azimuth/elevation for 110 and then split the difference between that and the azimuth/elevation for either 101 or 119 depending on which of the 2 existing dishes you used. And then you'd normally have to tilt the dish a few degrees as all multi sat dishes call for which would probably be the hardest tweak of all.

The other option (short of 3 dishes) would be to use an actual elliptical in place of just one of your round dishes and then you could easily adjust it properly for just the 2 sat slots (either 101/110 or 110/119) presuming you have a look angle to 110 from either of your 2 dish locations now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
blscott/DP1

I'd like to know about "extra" lnbs too. I "see" the satellites through a small hole between trees. I have side by side DTV and dish, but DTV sees better and I'm getting squeezed out on the other. So I want to combine all on one using the standard 8900E/sw64 lashup. But I've also seen a fourth lnb fastened to the other three on what appeared to be a regular oval dish, and wonder if I could do the same and use it for sat C with the combiner going in between the 119 splitter and the 8900 switch. I hope someone who has tried it will let us know how it worked.

JohnW

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well John the elliptical used to work well for getting 101 and 119 from DirecTv and 110 and 119 from Dish. And it still can for that matter. But of course needing the Sat C lnb and 110 from DirecTv mucks it up because you kind of only have the one slot on the dish for a 110 lnb so you have to make a choice between the channels on 110 from Dish or Showtime HD and perhaps some more upcoming HD channels at 110 from DirecTv. I havent heard anyone yet say they figured out how to get 2 seperate 110 lnbs (1 Sat C, 1 regular one) onto one dish. Not saying it's entirely impossible though.

I was kind of doing the original thing myself but what I just did was swap out the standard lnb that I could receive 110 from Dish on and replaced it with the Sat C lnb. But since I wasnt really getting any channels of note off 110 from Dish to begin with, I didnt mind. I only sub to thier AT-50 package and virtually none of those chanels are on 110 anyway.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If the trees keep growing, I may have to give it a try. Of course DTV & D will be merged by then so I won't need it - right! :)

JohnW

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
I havent heard anyone yet say they figured out how to get 2 seperate 110 lnbs (1 Sat C, 1 regular one) onto one dish. Not saying it's entirely impossible though.
OK, who's taken apart an LNB?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot

OK, who's taken apart an LNB?
You would use a regular dual LNB for the 110 slot and then run the output that you are feeding with 18 volts through a sattelite splitter. You then have two plain vanilla feeds off the 110 sattelite covering both polarizations, plus an extra one of the even transponders.

Then you pass the extra feed from the even transponders though an "image reject dual balanced modulator" to shift the frequency spectrum down 300 Mhz, giving you a signal that you can now pass though a low-pass filter and combiner thingy and then presto - you have an emulated special LNB output in additon the the conventional outputs. It actually woudnt cost much to manufature such a gizmo in moderate quantities, but I would suppose that the powers that be decided that its much cheaper to build single output, single polarity frequency shifted LNBs for the 110 slot than to incur the cost of a standard LNB + manufacturing cost of a frequency shifting adaptor.

Why do you want to do this? Will this let you get DishNetwork and DirecTV on the same dish? I dont know how Dish's frequency plan works to say for certain. (I suppose from some of the other posts it would work just fine) Its probably simpler to simply use and extra dish if you need the convential feed for some reason.

Actually I think you could probably use a single ended mixer, feeding it with the output of your 300Mhz oscillator and the 950 to 1450 Mhz output of the standard LNB. The mixer products would be the sum and difference of the input frequencies; so you would get 950 to 1450 minus 300 Mhz = 650 to 1150 Mhz components in the output, and also at 950 to 1450 plus 300 Mhz = 1250 to 1750 components for the other mixer products. The bands dont overlap, so you can seperate then with a simple low pass filter - might even work with the combiner thingy they provide, though I'd have to check this with a spectrum analyzer to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!!! I have opened one up ( it still works :) )

It is possible to retune the local oscillator on one side of a dual LNB to allow use with both D* and E* 110 wl simultaneously, I have not done this myself as the internal components are extremely small SMD devices and requires very expensive and specialized equiptment and expertise to do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.