AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this questions has already been answered.

I just got back from the Home Entertainment Expo last weekend, where I was told that DirecTV is now running HD programming on Sat "C" 110 degrees. Is this true, and if so, what channels???

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Have you got a Sat C kit installed?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FELDON23,

I am picking one up on the way home from work today, and can't wait to get it up and running. After a search on SHO HD it looks like it is 543. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is there anything else planned that we know of for Sat. C? I am not a Showtime subscriber, so it would seem to me that there's no reason to hook this LNB up yet.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PHL
Is there anything else planned that we know of for Sat. C? I am not a Showtime subscriber, so it would seem to me that there's no reason to hook this LNB up yet.
It's been rumored that DirecTV will move current or have future HD programming broadcasting from the 110 degree bird. On the DirecTV website under the "HDTV" area it says you need a triple LNB for HD programming. But right now the only HD coming across it is Showtime. You can still get HDNet or HBO-HD with just an eliptical dish with two LNBs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
It is on 543 and if you subscribe to DirecTV and you own an HD receiver, you get it for free, along with HBO-HD (other sat).
So, you mean I get Showtime HD for FREE just by having an HD receiver with DirecTV?? I have to pay my HBO sub to get 509. Why would they give me SHO HD free if I'm not paying a SHO subscription? Someone please verify this. If it's true, I'll get a Sat C kit today.

·
Registered
176 Posts
PHL

HD showtime is free when you purchase the regular showtime package in sd.

But HDnet is free to anyone that subscribes to any package.

I hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PHL
So, you mean I get Showtime HD for FREE just by having an HD receiver with DirecTV??
That's indeed the case, at least for now. That was also true for HBO until a few weeks ago, but not anymore. I suppose we can expect to see the free ride on SHO-HD to end eventually, so enjoy it while it lasts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It really depends on which DirecTV EC you speak to. Most of them won't even give you SHO package without a basic package (Total Choice). Others might allow you to just subscribe to SHO package without a basic package. SHOHD is a separate line on their programming menu. You may be able to find an EC who knows and is willing to just add that line to your programming package. In that case you'll have SHOHD free.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, I need some help trouble shooting my situation. I have installed the sat c kit, changed the config on my dtc 100, I get 543 now in the guide, but all I get is the "searching for signal msg" on 543 and 90

I have nothing blocking my view

I have tried with both the lnb from dtv as well as one from radio shack

I have tried the signal splitter from both dtv and rshack

I have added the shohd w/dtv (atleast they told me they did)

Any ideas??

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
There was a batch of bad diplexers that *D sent out as a part of their Sat c kits.

Call and get a replacement Sat C diplexer. A regular one will not work.

I don't know what you got at the rat shack but I would be surpirsed if it was a true Sat C diplexer.

Call *D and get the right part. It may take a major effort on your part but eventually they will deliver. (Search for my prior posts)

Good luck!

Dan

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey guys,

Just found out at another forum, if you call directv and ask for a sat c kit they will send it to you for free, you pay shipping around $9.

They will try to get you to buy Showtime, but apparently people are getting showtime HD for free!!!

Cool

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just called DirecTV to try for the $8.08+tax deal. Turns out they want a 1 year commitment to Showtime programming. Maybe I'm not using a magic phrase to ask for this deal. Any ideas on how to get the Sat C from DirecTV w/o the commitment?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Christopher,

I called a few days ago for my Sat C kit and received it yesterday.

I said that I did not want to change any of my programming until I had sucessfully installed the kit and would call then to add Showtime. I also asked for the professional installation to be included.

I was told that I would have to commit to the 1 year package to get the installation OR I could just get the Sat C kit alone for the shipping charge plus tax. I chose to get just the kit.

I only have the Limited Package at present.

As has been said many times here, just call back until you get a CSR who will send you the kit without the programming commitment.

Shelly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I got the DTC100 in Jan 2000 and did NOT get HBO HD until I subscribed to a regular HBO package.

I have the SAT C kit installed and configured fine. Silly me, I bought it on EBay for $40 new before I knew DirecTV was sending out free ones.

But 543 gives the 'call cust. service to order'. I've never been a SHO subscriber, so I'm really intrigued how some people are getting it by just adding the 3rd LNB without being subscribers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the info Shelly.

So here's my next plea for help. My past installations have all been done by a local home theatre store. If I get the Sat C kit to do it myself, how difficult is this to do? Specifically what all is involved?

I'm sure this has been asked before, so if pointing me to a URL for this discussion is easiest - go for it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PHL
But 543 gives the 'call cust. service to order'. I've never been a SHO subscriber, so I'm really intrigued how some people are getting it by just adding the 3rd LNB without being subscribers.
Well whether one is a Showtime subscriber or not, to actually receive the HD channel (543) theres a seperate "Showtime HD" line that has to be added to your account. If you are a sub to Showtime it gets added automatically. Some folks were able to talk a CSR into adding just the Showtime HD line to their account without subbing to Showtime and thats how they're getting it for free. Now as to how long that will last or if they're even doing that anymore (I had it done within the first day or 2 that SHO HD lit up), is anyones guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.