AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one had me scratching my head for a while, but now I understand that it could never work.

I have the oval disk and just added the Sat-C kit to it with a combiner. I also have two receivers. The 2nd receiver can only get 543 if the first receiver is tuned to 543 also.

It appears that I need a 5x4 multi-switch to replace the 4x4 multi-switch/combiner.

I guess that I have to call DTV to see what they'll do for me.

Paul

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah .... well, I might have jumped the gun and stuck my foot in my mouth on this one ... it could be a defective LNB.

Actually, I hope I'm wrong .....

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
All I can tell you is I have 2 HD receivers out of 4 total and either of them can get 543 at any time regardless of where the other is set.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Paul, remember the receiver doesnt see the sat C LNB, unlike dish receivers directv cant switch 3 LNB's. The receiver just sees extra transponders on 119. If your receivers were working correctly before you added the sat C kit, it can only be one of two things, a bad LNB or bad wiring.

Bob H.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks .... since the system was working fine before, I'll vote for the bad LNB theory. DTV is sending a replacement for Monday, so I'll know soon enough.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check your wiring and make sure that the Sat C kit is connected to the correct voltage output from your multiswitch. Regular LNBs switch between right-hand circular polarization and left-hand circular polarization by internally selecting the appropriate signal according to whether the receiver is sending either 13 or 18 volts to the LNB.

I think the Sat C LNB requires 18 volts, but I dont have the installation instructions at hand to verify this. Unless you are using a powered multiswitch, your multiswitch has to pass the voltages from the receivers to the LNB's. The multiswitch contains steering diodes to keep your receivers from shorting into each other, but it then begs the question as to what the LNB's see at their ALL of their inputs if all of the receivers are tuned to the 13 volt powered LNB outputs.

So are the unused LNB outputs fed no voltage, or do they all get the same voltage? It would be rather easy to measure. In any case, if you imagine having only one receiver and it is tuned to a sat C channel or a 119 channel that goes through the sat C combiner - then that single receiver is having to power TWO LNB's at the same time. Maybe your receivers cant deliver enough current with enough voltage to drive both LNB's? Of course if you have two receivers selecting the combiner output at the same time, then they would share the load and thus be able to easily drive both LNB's.

This could also happen if you have a high resistance somewhere, like might be caused by poor cable connections or a defective multiswitch. What brand is your receiver? If that brand cant drive the load of the paralleled LNB's, then that would be a brand to avoid. :). I'd check everything, but mostly check the connections and voltages first.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both are DTC-100's. The combiner goes into the Sat-B/18V input to the multiswitch. The wiring is quad-shield RG-6, and has been functional for a long time; I sealed all connections VERY well with silicone caulk.

The problem ONLY happens in relation to channel 543 (and I presume anything else on Sat-C), so I'm hopefult that the trouble will be solved by replacing the new Sat-C LNB.

We'll see, later today when the replacement arrives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.