AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run the cableing to my dish through a laundry chute up to my attic. I am wondering what is the best way to get them out on to the roof (getting to the attic is no problem). Can I use a roof vent if I exit the lower portion of the vent. Or is this asking for diaster? Other suggestions? I ask because the installer who came to install my dish was basically clueless and I had to sent him away - he just wanted to dangle the cables over the front of the house... He had never run cables out of an attic to the roof.....

Mike

[This message has been edited by mjcumming (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have my cables (three of them) running from the attic through the gable side of the house to the dish. There are bushings you can by at any home center that sells antennas or cable (maybe even best buy) and I think at Radio Shack. You drill a hole through the siding and sheathing into the attic. The bushing goes in that hole and the cable goes through the bushing. It is supposed to provide a water-tight seal. I used some caulking around it to help prevent any leaking.

SMK

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Go ahead and run them through the roof vent. Just make sure you make "drip bends" before the cables enter the roof vent to ensure no water can trail back in to your home.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

For a drip bend, I was planning on running the cable out the low end of the vent with a loop towards the eavestroph and then running the wires back up to the apex of the roof.

I was also considering cutting a new hole in the roof but the former sure seams much easier - as long works http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Are there special staples to attach the cable to the roof. There will be 5 RG6 Quad Shield lines.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
As for attaching the cables to the roof. You may want to use some silicone caulk to do this. Try to find a brand that has some uv protection built in. Apply it every 12 inches or so. This is your best bet to secure the cable without making any penetrations.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.