AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please address the following questions for me?...For I have recently put together a theater system and want to fully understand the following issues:

Can someone please provide a detailed explaination of burn-in? And what precautions are absolutely necessary to avoid damage to my RPTV. When viewing digital OTA broadcasts with my STB on Video 3 1080i, non HD broadcasts are displayed in 4:3 with black bars on the sides. Will this bars cause burn-in? I understand that I can select the Video 3 Variable output and use the zoom features on my RPTV, however I want to understand what exactly will damage my set. Sometimes the zoom features are not appropriate for viewing.

Does anyone know the actual bandwidth capability of the component video switching on the AVR-3801? When I purchased my unit I was told that it is 54 MHz, the same as the AVR-3802 will be. After my purchase, another retailer has told me that the AVR-3801 band width is 27 MHz, and short of the 33.75 MHz full HD bandwidth. Can someone clarify this for me? I have only been viewing for two days, however the high def. which I have viewed, is outstanding in my eyes. Can someone clarify?

The last question I have is regarding OTA Channel 14 (UPN). I live in the Metro Detroit area (St. Clair Shores), and can get all the available broadcasts (6 total), with the exception of Channel 14. I get perfect audio for this channel but a black screen. I have a Channel Master Diamond Quantum antenna, with rotor, and all other available channels are flawless. I am going to have the installer check signal strength, however I believe it is good. I do not have to reposition my antenna for any of the available stations, however I cannot get Channel 14 picture, regardless of postion.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Burn in;

It's hard to say what the effect will be. It would depend on how much of this type viewing you actually do. If you mostly watch with the full screen being used, it probably won't hurt.

Denon 3801;

The 3801 has a 27MHz bandwidth on it's component switching. You will probably not be able to tell the difference in picture quality between directly connecting and going through the 3801. I can't on my set.

OTA 14;

If you are getting sound and no picture, and all the other channels are OK, I would suspect it is a problem at the broadcast end, not with your set.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Call the station and talk with an engineer. I have done this over the past year with every station in my area and have not yet met with anything but friendly support. Art

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kornosp:
.....Can someone please provide a detailed explaination of burn-in? And what precautions are absolutely necessary to avoid damage to my RPTV......
"Burn-in" is a euphamism for differential phosphor aging, which is perhaps a more descriptive term. Watching an excessive amount of 4:3 programming on a 16:9 set results in the center portion of the CRT tubes being used more than the edges. The phosphors become less efficient (i.e. dimmer) as they age and this can result in the brighter, less used areas on the edges being clearly visible on widescreen programming. Any static images such as channel identification logos can cause the same problem.

The best way to avoid the problem is to have your set properly calibrated and to watch programming with a variety of aspect ratios. Note that watching with gray bars on the sides does not completely avoid the problem, as displaying a static gray image is not quite the same as displaying varying picture content.

Kent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.