AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the SATHD100 to tune cable TV as well as HDTV from the UHF antenna. The HDTV reception is outstanding. The cable TV reception is worse than what it was when it was hooked straight to the TV. Any ideas?

Dan

------------------

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Dean, something sounds whacked out judging by your description. The variable mode should accomplish exactly the same thing on cable as setting the box to 480i. The 480i output should happen automatically with the box set to "variable".

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you are using the HD100 to upconvert cable to 1080i, that will always look really soft. Try variable mode to pass it through as 480i. I found it roughly comparable to using the TVs internal tuner.

Tony

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ken:

I actually had some time this evening to more critically

compare the analog cable signal routed through the HD-100

through component connections (Variable Mode 3)and the XBR's

direct cable picture. Utilizing the XBR's picture-by-picture feature, you can definitely see the difference in the picture from the HD-100 vs. the XBR's internal tuner. Colors appear to tend more towards green and the picture itself is noisier. I suspect the difference is only because each tuner is handling the signal a bit differently. The HD-100's reproduction

of the cable signal is by no means unwatchable. But having a

choice, I would rely on the XBR's signal handling capability

over the HD-100 when it comes to analog cable....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Guess What!! I too am experiencing this problem and have already posted several messages on this board asking if anyone else is experiencing this too! So....what is happening here? I have set the output on the HD100 to Variable Mode 3, which makes sense for all DTV programming, including hi def. Are you saying that I need to change the output to 480i when I tune in cable channels with the HD-100 to get an acceptable picture?? Gee...I guess I should give this a try. By the way, as things now stand, when viewing analog cable through the HD-100 not only is the picture "soft" but colors are out of adjustment and swimming like crazy!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EvanN:
... hd isn't much better than dvd (only 199 and HBOHD, OTA antenna not hooked up yet).
You've got to try OTA HD!! I was able to tune in to most HD channels using a pair of rabbit ears from a VERY old TV. Today I bought a Terk indoor amplified antenna (TV25) and I'm getting every network in HD OTA.

The Tonight Show was unbelievable. OTA HD is the bomb! It is a huge improvement from my QuadScan line-tripled DVD.

Bryan

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evan,

I am not disatsfied with the SATHD100. I just think there are some tricks to it's opperation I don't know yet. All of the true HDTV material I've seen from it ( from cable, DirecTV, & uhf ant) has knocked me out of the chair. The same should happen to you. It's just the analog cable channels I need to improve.

Dan

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.