AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my HD-100 yesterday here in Minneapolis. The install of the dual lnb dish went easier than I had thought. I had initially setup the stb with a round dish and direct tv's "turning-on" took just minutes. Added cable and dtv ota broadcasts. No problem there either, other than I can get upn and pbs, not abc on channel 50. Not sure why, though I get very strong readings from the other stations ... 16.1, 16.2, 26.1, etc. Just not 50 (abc). Using a Terk indoor 25?? Had it for many years new in a box. I believe they are all on the same tower. Tried several times to add it!

Installed the dual lnb antenna, and was surprised at how close it was from the two birds from the intial settings found on the stb's antenna setup. With my meter, was able to find sat. a and then popped over to sat. b and bang, it worked without any additional tweaking!

Picture quality on the sony is remarkable. I do have a few issues I need help on or would like to comment on ...

1) the stb allows me to set either normal or widescreen modes depending on the type of tv. If set to wide screen to match my tv, I get bars no matter what aspect ratio I pick on the sony set. I have just set it to regular set type and my sony tv can still control the aspect ratio to fill the screen.

2) My guide is slightly cut-off on the top and bottom. This is annoying! I have no way to set the size of the guide?? The only way to fix it is to run everything in standard 4:3 mode and not allow wide zoom on the tv ...

3) The fan! Wow, is it loud in my opinion. I can hear it 20 to 30 feet away when everything is off in the family room, say while reading a book! I have 5 computers networked around the house and they are more quiet than the darn stb. I will get used to it but I think a design change is in order! Too bad for many of us early adopters ... to think we also may have to return the units for future firmware updates ... shame on them for such a design in this day and age in updating over the satellite.

4) Compared to all of my sony ES equipment, this unit looks cheap! For over $800, it should look better. It really looks like a $249 box best case, which they probably will be by the end-of-the-year.

All and all, I like the unit and dish for the $1K. HBO high definition is really nice using my only 1080i tv input. My opinion on ota digital is still out, since I am unable to get abc, or channel 50. I really don't like pbs or upn programming much.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.