AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a fairly exhaustive test of this lip synch issue. I had my Sony HD100 hooked up to my OTA 8VSB antenna which was split and also feeding my Zenith tuner integrated into the Zenith HDTV. I first noticed a bit of lip synch on WCBS DT while the local news was on (not in HD, but the tuner thinks it is, displaying the "HD"). I immediately switched to my Zenith tuner and saw EXACTLY the same lip synch problem and to the same degree. I had also borrowed my friend's Panny tuner and switched one of the antenna inputs to it, and it too displayed the lip synch issue.

I later noticed the same problem (again minor) on WNBC DT, and again, all the tuners showed the same problem. This makes me believe this is a broadcaster issue and NOT a STB problem. It also makes me feel better that the Sony does not apparently have some unique issue with lip synch.

I'll be doing further testing tonight since all 3 tuners are set up (my wife thinks I'm absolutely nuts....she's right!!). By the way, it's great listening to BOTH the Panny and the Sony tuner drone on together with their fans. It's not true harmony since their noise seems to be in different frequency spectrums. And, the Panny noise absolutely drowns out the Sony noise. However, at least when you switch the Panny off, the sound mercifully stops. I'll look into one of these "hush" boxes. I have no idea where you find them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's good news Ken, it's good to know that it is not just a Sony issue. Looks like your having an STB orgy at your house.... =0) The DTC wasn't invited to the party?? I don't remember seeing lip sync issues with the DTC. Now if I can just stop my Sony from giving me video dropouts! Thanx for the info!

·
Registered
355 Posts
As I have stated before...I had the Sony A-50 with sync problems. Sony balimed DirecTV and DirecTV blaimed Sony. About a month later the sync problem was gone. It was not the Sony. It was the broadcast. Same thing now. 5.1 is out of sync-the broadcasters have to take care of this. OTA HD is new and we have to remember that. Think about how long it took for the broadcasters to televise in color(Howdy Doody ??). And then how long it took them to get it right. Maybe they could also take care of the fan noise on the HD-100 !

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think someone asked if the RCA had the same problems with lip sync, and the answer is Yes. Whether it is a broadcast problem or a STB problem I can't say. I can however say that I had the RCA, and when the lip sync problem started, in most cases, I could turn it off, and back on. They would magically go away. That was one of the reasons I took it back.

Makes you wonder if it is the broadcasters after all (Shrug).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Long ago, the chief engineer of the local (Miami) ABC affiliate told me that lip synch problems emanated from the broadcast, usually locally.

That is probably why ABC sometimes (?) broadcasts a synchronization loop to the locals using a clapper. Some of us in Detroit and Miami saw this on our local channels last week preceeding the west coast NYPD Blue feed.

By the way, the STBs manufactured by Hughes do not issue annoying fan noise.

------------------

Bill Brenner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.