AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony SAT-HD100 is coupled with a new Sony KP-51HW40. I frequently notice red / green colored pixelization which predominately appears on peoples faces. (Generally when there is low lighting on the face or shadows). Close up well lit shots do not show this.

A similar defect also is often seen on any larger objects that are red. Good example is the woman that does the HDNet loops ... there is one scene where she is wearing a red sweater and it has lots of blotches and smears floating around on it. Another one was HDNet hockey ... Calgary Flames red on their jerseys was blotchy too.

This also shows up on regular OTA hidef channels and HBO-HD.

Set is connected via component video. OTA analog, and anything run at 480i looks fine. It's just 480p and 1080i material that this happens on. I've taken the receiver into the store and connected to the same model Sony TV and it did it there too. Also did it on a Hitachi in the store.

Otherwise the picture quality of this combination is excellent. Has anyone else experienced this and are there any fixes?

Bob

·
Registered
961 Posts
I can't suggest anything except to say I have an HD100 and only see green blocks when reception is bad. I'm in a marginal area. I haven't seen red blotches. I'd suggest returning the receiver...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Art,

Thanks but this is not your typical blocky picture due to signal strength. In fact my signal strength is more than adequate. 100 on OTA and upper 70's on DirecTV.

I've tried 3 HD100's. The first one was real bad. Took it back and the other two were less but it still was present to some degree. The real bad serial number was in the 28,000 range ... made Oct 01. My current one is 17,000 range made in Jul 01.

I'm beginning to think the decoder in the HD100 has a bug.

VGA output or 480i looks great. It's just 480p or 1080i that it shows up on.

Upon further searches on the web I have found it reported by a few other people too. Often described as "red/green color bleeding on facial areas".

Bob

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mangler,

What kind of TV did you have it hooked up to?

What type of connection (Component, VGA?)

Did the replacement Panny work okay?

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. I'm beginning to think the Sony has a problem decoding the high frequency reds. Last night a program on HDNet about the Corvette in America featured a reddish / maroon car and the artifacts/smearing etc were real noticeable.

However where it continues to be most prevalent is in facial colors along the edges of highlights or shadows. This is were the red/green smearing, artifacting is terribly annoying.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've figured this problem out. I went to several stores and noticed that on most sets the "color" setting was turned down. When I got home I thought about this and the fact that even though I was running on all the factory defaults the picture did in fact seem overly "vivid".

So I selected the "Movie" preset, turned the color down and BAM ... the red/green artifacting is gone!

My theory is that the presets are configured for TV's running off OTA analog or multi-split feeds for in store viewing. When supplying an HDTV feed the signal levels are too strong. Thus the high frequency colors are most affected and this is why the reds get messed up. Sort of like turning up the volume on a stereo and having the sound get distorted.

I'm extremely happy with the SAT-HD100 and KP-51HW40 combination now!

Bob

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the Sony 57XBR2 along with the SATHD100 and I am having the same problems with red artifacts. I can bring my over the air HDTV signal straight in my TV and let it decode it and it looks perfect. The SATHD100 certainly has a problem with it and I hope they correct this problem somehow or by coming out with a new model.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you re-vitalized this thread.

My fix with turning down the color is NOT working. It only helps a little bit. I took a look at a 57XBR2 with internal tuner at the store and it looked fine. So that would match your findings.

I have a Zenith DTV1080 on order and will report back my comparison.

Bob

P.S. Called Sony too and at least have it reported.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
It sounds like MPEG artifact.

If so, units that do not exhibit this at all, might look a little soft.

There is thin line between sharp picture and artifacts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maybe Sony does not have this problem in all their units or at lease I hope they fix this problem. It must have some kind of a bug in it because this problem does not occur at all when I am using the decoder built in my TV. I am not sure what to do about it. I could try swapping the unit for the same one or try another brand, but I really like the features of the Sony unit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think RPTV's are more prone to exhibiting the problem.

I've seen the SAT-HD100 in showrooms running the Sony Vega tube TV's and have not seen the artifacts.

Note also in my post at the beginning of the thread that I took my SAT-HD100 into the showroom and connected it to a Hitachi RPTV and got the same image defects.

Bob

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Actually I saw the 65XBR2 the other night in a showroom tuned in HD.net and saw lots of MPEG artifacts (mosaic) which was somewhat puzzling to me. I asked if it was hard drive or actual SAT reception which it was a SAT. To date I have not seen those artifacts on my Nec CRT & HD100 even Toshiba 53H71! I don't know what to think of it unless the XBR is extraordinarily a revealing set.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We called Sony about this problem and they have been aware of this problem for about a month now. They said a fix is being developed and we need to call back in a month for a software upgrade via the satellite. At least Sony is aware of the problem with the SAT-HD100 and it will be fixed in a month or so. I know now there is nothing wrong at all with the 56XBR2.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
At this time the red issue is still their even with the 4 known updates installed. I think we all need to call Sony or does anyone have any more word on this?

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
David: if it is the red&green pixes then the only way to fix/minimize would be to tune up you dish to get the best signal. If it is color issue then the AXIS (AS YOU INDICATED) most likely is the solution.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well since this thread has been re-vitalized ... I must report that since returning my SAT-HD100 and acquiring a Zenith DTV1080 I see NONE of the color issues that plagued my picture quality with the Sony.

No adjustments were done from the settings in effect when I had the Sony. As soon as I plugged in the Zenith I noticed the improvement.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.