AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an explanation of my OTA problems. I am about 35 miles from the towers. HDTV stations on channels 2, 10, 15, and 31. channels 15 and 31 for the most part are good with a signal level of around 90. Channel 2 comes in but has a lot of short dropouts, 1-2 seconds. Signal level is around 90 dropping to 0 on the dropouts. channel 10 is 50/50. A lot of times it won't lock and the signal level runs 90 and 100 when it won't lock. Some nights it is fine. When it is working the signal level is around 80. I don't have satelite, only use the HD100 for OTA at the moment with a Sony 53HS10 receiver. The Antenna is a Radio Shack VU190XR with a rotor. There are no tall buildings but Cleveland is in the middle of my path to the station antennas. Rotating the antenna doesn't help, signal level just drops out at about 90 degrees each side. Any comments would be appreciated. I don't have an antenna amp but have tried an inside amp/splitter with no improvement.

Bill
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have had similar experiences with my HD100 here in Florida. Sometimes when I am turning the rotor to pick up a distant market the signal strength meter would display a higher number for a multipath signal than the true signal. The lower number could be the one that locks. I noticed that your problems are both on VHF. The VHF DTV stations tend to transmit lower power levels. We have one VHF here that caused my SONY to react the same way as yours so I asked them to push the power up a bit more and they ignored me, so I complained and the chief said we do not have time to measure our signal in the field. Then I wrote the FCC and they said I could hire an engineering firm to take measurements. Then one day about two weeks after making all the complaint noise I could the power level went up about 10% and now I do not have the signal drop out problem.

You could try an antenna that is more resistant to multipath, and also see if you can find a friend or dealer who will let you hook up your HD100 to Directv overnight to download the firmware patches from SONY.

In general I have found the SONY very sensitive to off air reception problems, so it seems to work best only in perfect conditions. You might be happier with a DTC100 or the Samsung SIR-T15 (local offair only) which are much happier with marginal reception conditions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I left the reply as I hooked the hs100 up to a friends dish and it downloaded the patches. CBS on channel 10 no longer seems to fail with the high signal level and unlocked state. There are times when I get a lot of dropouts which appear to be noise. Channel 2 still gets a lot of dropouts. It gets enough to male it unwatchable. Channel 2 is the digital channel for channel 3. If I watch the analog on channel 3 I see noise bursts so I believe this is what is causing the dropouts on channel 2 and possibly on CBS channel 10. I don't have an amp on the antenna. Maybe I will try that next. The other two digital channels I get are on UHF and come in fine. Too bat the one I watch most is CBS and is on VHF..... Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.