AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a lot of touble connecting the sony's component out to my vga in. I bought a key digital component-to-vga adaptor, but no luck... It does work for 1080 material, but not 480i stuff.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to take advantage of the unit's variable mode.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just got an email from key digital... their transcoder:

a) doesn't work for 480i

b) needs to be switched manually when formats are changed.

guess I should I've done a little more research before I plunked down $200.

Anyone know of an adaptor that will work with both 480i and 1080i and works automatically?

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just got a second email from the same guy:

"I just received some information indicating that CTCF1 unit also

automatically works in 480i mode. Please send your unit back to our

Danbery facility and we will send you CTCF1 unit that you should try."

Things are looking up.

[This message has been edited by lhamp (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Gary,

Variable mode is not available on the VGA output.

Lhamp,

You already know the Panny was much better at this kind of stuff. I actually ran 480i out of the VGA output on the Panny. Good luck. I am waiting to hear how this turns out. I'd also like to see Sony add a few more aspect choices for 4:3 content in 1080i mode (vga and component).

--Rick

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think LHamp is trying to avoid the black bars the Sony puts on the sides of 4:3 content. If memory serves, he has a Plasma screen and a justifibly paranoid about these things.

--Rick

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick is exactly right. My main objective is to avoid burn-in on my plasma.

I should get the new transcoder in a day or so and I'll let you guys know how it works.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok... got the new Key Digital transcoder last night... just hooked it up. It works perfectly. I can now use the Sony's variable mode and pass on information natively. Which is exactly why I'm unplugging it and putting on my closet shelf.

It seems necessity really is the mother of invention. I've found that I've gotten used to keeping the sony set to 4:3, Pan and Scan, and then I just switch to 16:9 when I'm watching a hd broadcast (which frankly, isn't that often given the amount of programming out there).

To me, the benefit for doing this is that I can watch all the 4:3 stuff the networks send out with bars and still fill my screen. In Variable Mode, my television reads that stuff as 16:9 so I'm stuck with bars... blah, blah, blah... you know the drill.

Anyway... for anyone who would like to use the sony's component outs, but has to deal with vga in, I'd definitely recomend Key Digital's transcoder. In fact, I know where you can get one cheap. Nahhhh... I think I'll hold on to it... You never know.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
lhamp,

Does your plasma TV not have any "stetch" modes? I would have thought the only reason you got the transcoder was to restore aspect ratio control to your set while viewing the 4:3 material?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken... I swear to god, figuring out aspect control on this thing is like doing Rubick's Cube. Anyway... yes, the reason I bought the transcoder was to stretch 4:3 material. The problem is the 4:3 ota stuff that the networks attach bars to (also, an occasion 509 show like bob costas, etc)... in variable mode, my television reads it as 16:9 and displays it as is. I was ok with that with the panasonic... but while I was waiting for the transcoder, i realized that by doing the 4:3-pan and scan thing, I could watch ALL 4:3 stuff full screen ... I guess what happens is that all 4:3 material fills a 4:3 space and my television stretches it to 16:9.

Of course, this also crops out some 16:9 material... so when I watch hd broadcasts I swith to 16:9 on the sony.

Is any of this making sense?

I have a headache.

[This message has been edited by lhamp (edited 03-24-2001).]

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
lhamp,

That's funny, I know what you mean. The good thing is there's nothing wrong with your plasma display. Every HDTV will interpret the sidebars on a 4:3 OTA DTV station as a 16:9 frame. That's exactly the shape their transmitting, so there's no way around that presently. I've also got the Key Digital transcoder collecting dust. I used it to hook up my Tau to the RCA. High def was fine, but 4:3 material wasn't sized properly (the sidebars were way too wide). It made my aspect ratio look like 2:3. Isn't high def fun?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.