AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SAT-200HD receiver, a 40XBR800 TV, and soon a Marantz VP-12S2 FP. For "normal" Sat-TV viewing, I plan on just using the sattelite receiver-to-TV combination, connected either via DVI or Component Video (CV). For "special" Sat-TV viewing, and for DVD, I plan on going CV and audio thru my Denon 5800 (for now, until I upgrade it to separates) and CV on to the Marantz. It seems I can't do this though, because you can either use the DVI or CV output, but not both, without toggling the switch on the back of the SAT-HD200 between RGB/DVI and CV. I'm already planning on using a CV Dist Amp for the single CV out of the Denon to run it to either the TV or FP. Is my only recourse to also put a CV Dist Amp on the output of the SAT-HD200 to split it between either TV or Denon? Seems like a mess for what I thought would be a basic requirement. Alternatively, I guess I could just go S-Video between the SAT-HD200 and TV for normal viewing, but then I loos the opportunity to view HDTV from the sattelite receiver without going through the HT AV receiver. Or am I overlooking something? Is anyone else trying to do something similar? Basically, I want a way to view HDTV on the TV without engaging the HT receiver setup, and to view HDTV on the TV and/or FP while engaging the HT receiver setup. Is this asking too much? I hope not.

TIA,

Paul

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The RGB and DVI outputs are both active at the same switch setting, so you could get an RGB-to-component transcoder to go between the box's analog RGB output and the component-video input on your receiver. I know such things are available from Key Digital and others; don't know how much they cost, but I'm sure someone else here does.

·
Registered
506 Posts
One D* HDTV receiver that supports multiple simulatenous outputs is the Sammy 160 (DVI & SVHS or Component & SVHS simulatenous). The receiver has its own set of problems (see various threads) but does provide an advantage for those wishing to view HDTV and record SVHS.

Still does not provide simulatenous DVI and component.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Jeff - I need both to be component, so the Sammy 160 wouldn't help I guess (plus I already have the Sony!)

MDRiggs - That might do it. In fact, I looked at Key's website, and their KD-VTCA2 takes RGB in and outputs CV and RGB, so maybe there is a way to make that work. Not cheap at $289 but it might work. Its basically the dist amp idea I had, except instead of 1 CV in, 2 CV out, its 1 RGB in, 1 CV and 1 RGB out. At least to my understanding. Anyone using such a thing? Anything to look out for? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Paul,

The HD-200 owner's guide states that the DVI output will take precedence over the RGB if both are 'hooked up'. At least that is my understanding; you might want to verify with someone else or Sony that in fact both DVI and RGB can be active at the same time before you start spending money.

thebishman

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks thebishman,

Interesting point, I knew I read that somewhere. The manual uses the term "being used", so it comes down to what "being used" means. If it means connected, I'm screwed, since the beauty of this approach is to connect both and not mess with the switch. If "being used" means trying to view a signal thru them, I should be OK, since I would only watch the TV or the FP, but not both simultaneously. So if I turn on the TV, DVI would be used and take precedence. If I turn on the FP, RGB-to-CV would be used. But both wouldn't be on at the same time. Anybody think I have this correct, or have a different experience?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plammerdi
...you can either use the DVI or CV output, but not both, without toggling the switch on the back of the SAT-HD200 between RGB/DVI and CV.
Interesting. I installed a Sony HD200 last week for a customer who had a Pioneer Plasma HDTV, and I couldn't get his tuner box to acknowledge the RGB signal that I thought I was sending into "Input 1", so I left the new receiver connected to just the composite "Input 2", where his old Sony B-65 had been connected.

As I read the above excerpt, there is a side switch on the back of the receiver that might have disabled the output I was trying to use?

For my edification and future use, if I take the output from an R, G, or B output terminal and patch it into the video (yellow) on my test monitor, would that enable me to visually confirm at least that an output is present?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that may have been your problem, the switch enables one or the other I guess. I'm not the expert, so I don't know if just hooking one of the 3 CV RCA jacks to the composite video connection would prove/disprove that an output was at least present. I'm guessing yes but I don't know what the output (if anything) would look like??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.