AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After upgrade I'm still experiencing video dropout (snow)

especially when watching espn or tnt... I have to either

manually reset aspect ratio or turn unit off & on again.

I'm using a dvi cable from pacific cables & with

my baby..the nec ht1000. When watching high def via

channel 199 or 198 this dosent seem to happen.

whats wrong...is it the projector,cables, stb?????

help...............................

·
Registered
908 Posts
Tell us more.

1. How are you receiving ESPN & TNT? Cable, OTA, DirecTV, etc?

2. Are you stating that changing Aspect Ratio (on 520) changes the PQ and the snow disappears?

3. What do you mean by "manually reseting" Aspect?

4. I assume you are interfacing to the pj using DVI for ESPN & TNT, also.

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using Direct TV..What I mean is while I'm watching

ESPN or TNT for awhile the picture will go to snow......and

sometimes the picture will come back and sometimes it won't.

When the picture does not come back I have to change aspect ratios on the unit itself or turn the unit on and off again, and the picture is back

·
Registered
908 Posts
You say snow, not pixelation. That being the case, when it happens again, depress the signal button to see how the signal strength is. If it is strong, I would guess you are losing the part of the 520 that receives NTSC material. I suggest you call Zenith and get them to swap out your unit.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
The more I think about this the less sense it makes. When you get a weak signal with NTSC (analog) tv, you get snow. With a digital signal which you have from DirecTV, a weak signal results in pixelization, blocking, and/or losing the picture - not snow. And since you are using a DVI interface, this is a digital signal, also. Therefore, I don't understand where snow would ever enter the picture in your situation.

Tom

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomrhyne
The more I think about this the less sense it makes. When you get a weak signal with NTSC (analog) tv, you get snow. With a digital signal which you have from DirecTV, a weak signal results in pixelization, blocking, and/or losing the picture - not snow. And since you are using a DVI interface, this is a digital signal, also. Therefore, I don't understand where snow would ever enter the picture in your situation.

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no picture at all. I called zenith and a swap may be in order.

unfortunately I need the box to watch my NBA playoff games

I cant part with it now

·
Registered
908 Posts
audiovibes, ask Zentih to send you a replacement unit and a UPS return prepaid label. You have to give them a credit card number, but they want charge you if you return the old unit within 10 days. That way you want have to do without a unit. I've done it 4 times with Zentih.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
I swapped the 520. I also swapped 3 1080s.

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow..............I called Zenith and they said they would swap it, although

they initially said that a charge of $90 would apply...they then decided to

waive the charges....I hope this solves my problem

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tomrhyne.....

If you dont mind me asking.......what was wrong with all of those units?

Is Zenith a company that people should stay away from? If you've change

your units four times this seems like cause for concern on their build quality

·
Registered
908 Posts
I experienced a multitude of problems with the 1080 unit as you could guess since I went through 4 units. These problems have all been documented on this forum. They finally bought my 1080 back for full price, including shipping charges.

I don't fault Zenith with poor quality. These receivers are very complex, leading edge devices which incorporate hardware and software. In a sense it is a specialized computer plus more. Each of us have experienced lockups and other problems with our PCs. I don't like the problems I encounter, but I understand how they can occur with new technology.

Also, the HD broadcasters are on a bleeding edge and rapid learning curve. They create some of the problems that we experience with our HD receivers. When the receiver sees something that it doesn't expect, then a problem is created. Time will allow all manufacturers to sort through these issues. Overall I am pleased with my 520. It is much superior to the 1080.

Tom

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am getting my 6 month (to the day) old swapped out because it won't turn on, not even the orange stand-by light. They are sending me one and I am supposed to send them back my broken one. They are charging me $90. Do you thing I can get out of paying?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.