AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung HDTV with SATA 8300hd from Cablevision, remote control UR2-CBL-CV04. DVD and Nintendo connected to tv inputs; to make them work have to change video source manually or with Samsung tv remote only.

The described Cablevision remote offered no capabilities.

Should you know of one, I would certainly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can't answer your question directly, but may be able to point you in the right direction.

First, have you been able to find the correct code for the Samsung TV and map it to the soft "TV" button the top of the 8300 remote? If so you will definitely have control of at least TV power, volume, and mute. If not, go to the Cablevision Customer self-help webpage and search for the code and method to map control of your TV to the 8300. Hopefully this will get the remote "talking" to the TV set.

Note there are several versions of 8300 software in use (SARA, Passport, and lately Navigator). I don't know which your local Cablevision headend uses, but some of them support the ""Video Source" button (grey, lower left corner) functionality for TV source select. If it works, it will probably just cycle through each possible input in a loop, so it will be a bit more ciumbersome than "direct source" select that the Samsung remote offers, but that's better than nothing. I think the Samsung allows you to block out any unused inputs which should speed the process up a bit.

Second there is a wealth of info buried in the AVS forums (but finding the answer you need may be tedious). Below is a link to the HD recorder page. In it is a very long thread, over 8000 posts, that for example covers use of the 8300 in a SARA environment on a TWC headend. There may be a similar one for Cablevision, or there may be some gems in that one that will apply to your situation:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Finally, you might consider getting one of the better third party multi-function remotes from Harmony, Logitek, or similar. Many of them can easily be set up to control all the functions of all your theater devices, and probably group them into logical "macros" too. This will make it easier for you and others in your household to "run" the system.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, t
hanks so much for the info.

I failed to mention in my initial posting that my box 8300hd is a DVR. As such it has inputs on front, which if used instead of the tv inputs, they can be controlled by the Cablevision remote with the video source button.

My preference was to use the tv inputs.

I most certainly will search for the additional data that you mentioned.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpe /forum/post/18198711

...my box 8300hd is a DVR. As such it has inputs on front, which if used instead of the tv inputs, they can be controlled by the Cablevision remote..

We have the 8300HD DVR too. To clarify what I meant, the remote Video Source button can have multiple functions. In the "CBL" mode, it selects the front panel or internal source in the 8300 box. I believe that in the "TV" mode, it can control selection the TV's inputs, if correctly coded to your TV and the Cableco is using software that supports that additional function.

Once you have basic TV control with the 8300 remote, try this: press the "TV" button and then the Video Source button to see if the TV inputs cycle. If so, you're all set. If not, the secondary function may not be supported and you'll have to go to plan B...

Mike

PS: Here is the 8300HD Tips thread for the SARA version of software:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=471859

It's rather long but do a search on just this thread for remote control posts. If your system uses Navigator, ther is another thread about that somewhere; I'll try to dig it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts