AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I subscribe to DishNetwork and also kept basic cable subscription to get local channels/major networks. I would like to receive some HDTV programming because I just bought a HDTV set (Toshiba 43" widescreen) but I am not sure what I need beyond a 6000-type receiver. I have 2 dish, including one facing the 61.5 degrees satellite that Echostar uses to broadcast a couple of HD channels. Can anybody help? Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephane
I subscribe to DishNetwork and also kept basic cable subscription to get local channels/major networks. I would like to receive some HDTV programming because I just bought a HDTV set (Toshiba 43" widescreen) but I am not sure what I need beyond a 6000-type receiver. I have 2 dish, including one facing the 61.5 degrees satellite that Echostar uses to broadcast a couple of HD channels. Can anybody help? Thanks.
You should be all set.. If you can pick up 61.5 you will be able to view the HDTV demo-loop channel (#9550 or so), HBO-HD and SHO-HD. You will need a multiswitch to combine the signal from the two dishes. Also, the 6000 will want to upgrade itself the first time you use it and you need to point to the right sattelite to get the upgrade (its not in 61.5). You may also want to get the 8VSB module so you can tune into OTA HDTV (CBS and others) if its available in your area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer. What about a post I saw mentioning having to push on a button on the back of the receiver to switch from HDTV-type programming to regular programming and vice-versa?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The button is on your remote. You do need to connect the receiver via your component or VGA inputs to view the HD signal.

There are 2 lights on the front of the 6000 to let you know (as if it isn't obvious) what mode you are in: SD or HD. Pushing the button on your remote toggles the 6000 to the other mode. Then you will need to change the input on your TV to S-Video if you want to watch SD programming.

Most people leave the receiver in HD mode all the time and use the stretch/zoom options (press * on the remote to toggle through them) for non HD programs.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you much for the information. I'll be shopping for that 6000 receiver soon then...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.