AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built a house and it is a part of some home owners association. The deed restrictions for the subdivision state that I need the architectural approval committee to approve any satellite or antenna before putting it up.

Now I had already setup the appointment and my installer made me aware of such rules so I checked deed restrictions and found out about this stipulation but I had him install anyways since he was already there and I figured my neighbor had directv and that they'd approve it. (note that this is a superdish and is a bit larger than an ordinary dish)

I left a message with the committee and he returned my call and told me he is very strigent about letting satellite dishes in the subdivision and that he needs to approve the type and placement of the satellite since some can be "visually unsettling"

I read up on the FCC ruling regarding that no organization can prohibit an owner from placing a satellite to receive tv signal.

He wants me to fax over a picture of the satellite and where I'll place it (which is behind the house on a pole, cannot see it from the front) and to NOT install the satellite. (too late :p)

In any other instance I would call this guy back and point to the ruling and refuse to take it down, but the problem is the committe must approve my fencing as well so I still need to play nice with him for a little while longer.

What would you do? I plan on leaving the satellite up, hoping to find a fence for approval within the next couple days and give him the design, hope for approval then send him the pic's of the dish. If he refuses then I'll point to the ruling.

Also a side note, when the installer installed the dish he asked me where I wanted it and I said roof, then he informed me that subdivisions sometimes don't allow satellites on the roofs (is this true?) so he said he could put it on the ground. Well I didnt' realize how high it would be and now I wish that it was on the roof. Is it hard to move the dish back to the roof? or should I call a professional to move it (i'm not that handy)

You would think the installers would've known about the fCC ruling? It was in place since 1996.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The ruling says they can't prevent you from putting a dish under one meter on property you own or control. They do have the right to specify where you put it as long as that position does not prevent reception of any signals or cause unnecessary additional expense though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You would think the installers would know a lot of things they apparently don't know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.