AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I don't think I can get digital cable where I live. My provider says I can if I can get channel 114, but that's not even on their channel lineup...I'll have to call them soon. ANYway, with satellite, they're always advertising 100% digital-quality TV...What's this? Digital-quality? What resolution is it? Also, I can see they offer a few HD channels on satellite. Are these the same ones that one could get on digital cable and what resolution are they in? For local stations (FOX, ABC, etc.), I can only get those in HD OTA, right? I've checked with a search thing on the Internet somewhere and for OTA, it says I can only get analog broadcasts (I live in the fringes, after all). I'd appreciate help in answering these questions and furthering my limited understanding of HDTV. If I can't get HDTV programming, then I guess there's no point in getting an HDTV :p But I do need a new TV soon as my 12-year-old Toshiba 32" is showing its age and I'd rather not get an analog TV I'd have to replace in a few years. Oh yeah, and is it true that SD signals look worse on HDTV's than on standard analog TVs?

Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Good questions.

To answer one: SD signals generally look better on HDTVs -- but with a larger screen any imperfection is much more obvious.

It would help to know where you are to answer so many of your questions.

And in any case, you would get more answers specific to your area in the Local forum appropriate to where you live.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Its true that all of the satellite channels are digita, but you are wise to ask about "at what resolution". They do use compression which effects the SD and HD channels. Still even the compressed HD channels look tons better than any SD channel.

As far as your possiblities for local HD. Check the local HD reception forum for a thread in your area. They'll have the best advice on what to expect reception wise. Even if you can't get locals in HD, there are several national channels available via satellite, with more expected by the end of the year.

If your old TV is due to be replaced, then go ahead on and get a HD unit. I know that SD can look poor on a plasma (thats what I've got), but its not true for all HD models.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
Good questions.

but with a larger screen any imperfection is much more obvious.
Are you saying the same thing happens that happens to large analog displays, or are you taking into consideration scaling a low resolution picture to a high resolution display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
It would help to know where you are to answer so many of your questions.

And in any case, you would get more answers specific to your area in the Local forum appropriate to where you live.
I live in Milford, NJ. I created one asking if there was any HD available there. I live in a rural area, and I don't know how far HD OTA broadcasts travel...Any help? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7289
ANYway, with satellite, they're always advertising 100% digital-quality TV...What's this? Digital-quality?
"Digital Quality" means absolutely nothing. It's a term that some marketing guy must have come up with. Prior to "digital quality" D* used to advertise "DVD quality". However, they started to overcompress their SD channels and could no longer make that claim. So the switched to the bogus, and misleading, term "digital quality".

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would an HDTV SD image look better from SD cable or SD satellite? Thanks.

Also, how far can HD OTA broadcasts travel before they die? Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Check the local forum in the Thread Index stickied at the top. From Milford, you actually have a shot at NY, Philly, and Wilkes-Barre HD locals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.