AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the AE 100 and the VB50HR tuner connected to my TW Cable system. The VB50 only increased PQ by about 5%. I was thinking of getting the Dishnetwork. Has anyone here had both ? If you have is there more then a 10% increase in PQ? Thanks for any help in this area.

John

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I have both AT&T analog cable and DirecTV, fed into an Infocus LP400 (which has a good internal scaler). I also have a VB50 for use with computer monitors.

DirecTV's SD programming looks a lot better than cable to me, on my Infocus and also computer monitors. There are some MPEG artifacts on DirecTV, but the Y/C separation issues and analog noise makes the AT&T cable much worse in comparison. I have demoed it many times for people who are amazed at how much better DirecTV is.

I have not tried this with the AE100 but I cannot imagine it would be much different.

AT&T has about the worst cable system of the big MSO's, so you might also consider whether your cable system is better.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Unfortunately, you've asked a question that can't be answered. I have AT&T analog cable, and with a good line doubler (I use DScaler on HTPC) it's visibly superior to digital AT&T cable or DSS. Best case is that DSS is a digital copy of an analog original, complete with compression artifacts.

It all depends on how far you are from the "head-end" unit (where all the microwave dishes, satellite dishes, and OTA antennas mounted high above the ground are). In my case, I'm less than two miles from that site and I get good analog cable. People near the fringes of the system prefer digital cable or DSS and they are correct - the analog-to-digital video compromises are less serious than the degraded analog signal, for them at their location.

Only YOU can truly answer the question by direct observation - no one else's experience applies to you unless they live but a few houses away.

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.