AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know if anybody out there is feeding their Satellite signal into a Windows Media Center PC?

If so, I have a few questions. What type of input are using. Are you able to record onto your PC. HD recording?

I am a current cable customer looking to upgrade to HD Satellite and my wife was wondering how that would affect her set up, which has cable feeding her Media Center PC. We use her PC as a PVR and output that via a Xbox360 extender to our main TV. How would that change with Satellite?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You'd be limited to SD resolution and need to use an IR blaster or other method to allow the PC to control the sat STB.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You need to use an external tuner with MCE when using satellite. The PC needs some way to control the STB and that's usually the most common option, you may have some options using serial also depending on the STB.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misbehaving /forum/post/0

So you would not be able to use the Media Center guide to setup future recordings unless you had this IR blaster?

That is correct. However we may see an improvement this summer, I have been talking with 2partsfusion and D* is working on a HTPC interface. It will require Windows Vista and will allow recording of HD. The hardware configuration is unknown, I suspect it will still require a D* IRD since a PC power supply would be hard pressed to power the LNBs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.