AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a DTV satellite that was installed so that it piggy backs the existing cable that was installed when the house was built (about 15 years ago). The installation is really amatuer (in my opinion) and includes a very unsightly junction box on the side of the house. The current setup also limits my output to four sources and I've already exceded that.

There are four cables running from the dish to the junction box. From the junction box they attach to four other cables that apparently run to our cable tv locations in the house.

I'd like to remove the junction box and increase the number of outputs available for sat/dvr boxes and additional tv feeds. I'm guessing that I need a matrix switch of some type, but I'm not sure what would be the most efficient and cost effective solution. I was hoping to get some feedback on a solution what to buy.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Stan

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You'd probably get a better response at dbstalk.com since it specializes in Satellite. I'm assuming DTV = Directv? If so, you likely have a Slimline dish with the four outputs (non-SWM). If all of these assumptions are correct, you could get a WB68 multiswitch. You input your 4 inputs into this switch and get 8 outputs
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=WB68

You could also look into getting a SWM lnb. With SWM, if you have compatible receivers, you only need to send one wire to each receiver and you have the ability to split the signal.

Before doing any of that, you should call Directv and tell them you need to expand your system to accomodate additional receivers. Typically they'll come out and upgrade you for free or a small fee (cheaper than what the equipment would cost if you went the diy route).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
edpowers,

Thanks for the feedback.

That's what I thought that I needed, but wanted to make sure.

I do appreciate the advice about calling DirecTV and seeing if they will do the upgrade for free (seeing as how I intend to add additional receivers)... Makes a lot of sense to see if they will foot the bill.

Regards,

Stan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.