Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Satellite merger, good or bad?

I think it's a good idea, because there weren't enough subscribers for 1 service much less 2. Also, music choice is their main competitor, and as long as golden oldies is maintained I like it as much as I liked satellite radio.

Internet radio, with Winamp running on fumes, is kind of not really relevant.

HD radio - if they knew the competition would develop their game, maybe they would have come up with a package that would have sold by now.

AM collisions happened in NYC, and from what I've read there are broadcast range issues.

I figured out what was causing satellite radio growing pains. The Dock & Play has an auxillary output, but that is not meant to connect to your car stereo. I just realized some people were using that to connect to a separate stereo in their cars, and not using the device to be heard by their vehicle stereo.

They are obviously emphasizing pre-installed car stereo for expansion.

Back to HD radio. The hitch is that if you design for broadcast range, don't you make interference more likely? Well, if only I know more. A hitch in the skynet rules allows for more range if the bandwidth is limited to 14 kHz. Thus, I think you need to put the low pass filter in the modulation scheme to make it work. And that's an extremely difficult concept. Low pass filters in the digital domain are not easy. In the analog, it's called an inductor.

Radio locator does list HD radio stations without describing them as HD. There is quite a bit more adoption of the transmission out there then when I checked about 10 years ago, but the number of systems with HD reception is minimal.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I think its terrible.......

XM radio used to be excellent until Sirius bought them,now in my opinion they are both garbage.....

The only good thing about sirius is Howard Stern and Dr. Laura

I was JUST ABOUT to signup for XM .. Im so glad I didnt as 3 months later Sirius destroyed them.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, etc., are the real competition now. 15-20 years ago, none of those existed and you couldn't bring a phone in the car and get high quality music integrated into the car entertainment system.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
It would be nice if someone streamed her online!! (For awhile someone was streaming Howard Stern.. (Ah man!!))

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Er, I meant "skywave" not "skynet." I see it is a phenomenon associated with shortwave transmission, it's a concern with AM only at night. The wikipedia does discuss this with AM clear channel transmission. I see, a clear channel station is one that avoids skywave interference.

I suppose the playlists now are very New York. Do they still play a lot of KISS on the Boneyard?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K, I got a 3 month trial for signing up after I saw the one month free ad on TV. I could say the playlist is a little narrow, but I don't know that many songs that would be recognizable. The tone they are shooting for is a concert PA before the band or intro starts. There's tone equalization and I think they are overdoing it a little bit. They do get a consistent low end from song to song.

Get rid of Britney Fox, Pantera, and Slayer and the selection would improve 100%.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I think its terrible.......

XM radio used to be excellent until Sirius bought them,now in my opinion they are both garbage.....

The only good thing about sirius is Howard Stern and Dr. Laura

I was JUST ABOUT to signup for XM .. Im so glad I didnt as 3 months later Sirius destroyed them.....
I agree about XM radio. It was great. They've gone down a notch since the Sirius acquisition.

As far as Howard and Dr. Laura, I wouldn't listen to either of them if they were free. I have three radios in three cars and they offered me all access for nothing as a trial. I told them not to give me the trial unless they dropped Howard Stern.

What's good about XM today?

Some stations I listen to frequently have remained the same under the Sirus/XM banner:

- 60s, 70s, Classic Vinyl, Deep Tracks are all still the way I remember before the merger.
- They now allow free streaming on the app without having to purchase all access. That opens up a lot of stations that are only available for streaming. For example I always liked Holiday Pops during Xmas. Recently they had dropped it and only played it for 2 days at Xmas, but it's available after Thanksgiving on streaming.
- Symphony Hall, still a great station. Same DJs they've had forever.
- Millennium of Music on Symphony hall, a great show.
- Some good Jazz Stations.

I've basically stuck to a handful or two of stations I listened to before the merger and still like the service of those.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Correct, but AM reception is bad, seems like a lot more interference nowadays.
Not really. AM reception has always been spotty/bad since it's inception. Between Atmospheric conditions(Thunderstorms mainly), and then the overlapping signals during the day which cause interference/unlistenable stations.

But after about 10pm EST, when a lot of stations go dark, and there is not as much "traffic" OTA, those 50,000 watt AM stations that are hundreds of miles away come in clearer, and it was kind of fun.

Now, that is no longer necessary with apps like TuneIn Radio/IHeartRadio/Radio.com/etc... You can get almost any station you want from anywhere in the world nowadays.

The government may someday soon package up that bandwidth and resell it for something else, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Free is still Free. And that matters too people...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts