AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Direct tv
tells me that they no longer offer a receiver to connect an off air antenna to it....i am not speaking of FTA dish receivers.

Someone has to be selling such a receiver without my having to get a second mortgage....

Please give me a brand and a model number of a satellite (small dish) hdtv receiver that would allow me to connect my off air antenna for local channels only.

Thanks.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
AFAIK, DirecTV (and Dish Network) do not allow connection of any random receivers to their network(s). They received a waiver from the FCC, allowing them to essentially bypass all the open-cable regulations that are imposed on cable companies, and they jealously guard the advantage that they get from that waiver.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill check out the am21 but to clarify myself ...i am not looking for an FTA receiver...i am interested with a receiver that has plug for local channel reception AND a plug in the back for direct tv cable.

THanks for the information

Gilbert

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with my direct tv receiver i am not able to pull in the local channels because A) i dont want to pay them since i can receive them free with an antenna. The antenna cannot be plugged into the new receiver they gave me...no place to plug in the back of the new receiver.

The older receiver (no longer available they say) had two plug in locations next to each other...one for the direct tv cable and the other for my outside antenna.

Dont know how else to word it. Please PM me or email me if i didnt do a good job.

Thank you everyone.

Gilbert

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I guess I should mention the AM21 is only applicable to D*'s DVR units starting with the HR21, it doesn't work with their set-top receiver-only boxes (H20, H21, etc.). I don't imagine they will make it work either, since there's little incentive to do so - with the DVRs, you can record local OTA broadcasts with the AM21 plugged in, but if you don't have the DVR, you can just flip to your TV's internal OTA tuner and use that without losing any functionality.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy /forum/post/18140965

If your TV has a tuner, you can connect an off air antenna directly to the TV.

I have done that but it is a minor hassle since i have to move the "input" source with the remote each time.

Thank you for your INPUT

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can try the Samsung SIR-TS360. It's on older Directv receiver but it worked very well for me a few years ago. I never even had DirecTv service either. I simply connected my OTA antenna and voila. I think you can find them on eBay for about $50 shipped (used).

It does not have HDMI out but it does have a DVI output which you can connect an HDMI adapter to.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.